Staff R&D Engineer
Andy Bauer joined Kitware in January 2008 as an R&D Engineer. Dr. Bauer’s general research area is on enabling technologies for large-scale, PDE-based numerical simulations. His two main focus areas at Kitware have been tools for generically specifying simulation code inputs for large scale simulations and performing coprocessing/in situ analysis and visualization with simulation codes on supercomputers. Part of his in situ work includes running ParaView Catalyst with 1Mi MPI processes on Mira at Argonne’s ALCF. Prior to joining Kitware, his work was primarily focused on mesh based numerical simulations of partial differential equations. Specific tasks include being part of the TSTT/ITAPS project for enabling high performance computing on large scale computing systems, working with physicists on numerical simulations of extended MHD using adaptive methods, and working on mesh search methods.
Dr. Bauer obtained his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Binghamton University in 1996. He earned his Ph.D. from the University at Buffalo in 2003, with his dissertation titled “Efficient Solution Procedures for Adaptive Finite Element Methods – Applications to Elliptic Problems”. This work focused on efficient mesh partitioning using Space Filling Curves and preconditioning of symmetric positive definite matrices for faster iterative solution convergence. While at UB he also did a post-doc with a group of mathematicians, computational scientists, geologists, and geographers working on simulating granular flows. His work has been published in several peer-reviewed, international conferences and journals.
- A. Wissink, J. Sitaraman, B. Jayaraman, B. Roget, V. Lakshminarayan, M. Potsdam, R. Jain, J. R. Forsythe, and A. Bauer, "Recent Advancements in the Helios Rotorcraft Simulation Code," 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting in AIAA, 2016
- A. Bauer et al., "In Situ Methods, Infrastructures, and Applications on High Performance Computing Platforms," Eurographics in The Eurographics Association and John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2016
- U. Ayachit, A. Bauer, E. Duque, G. Eisenhauer, N. Ferrier, J. Gu, K. Jansen, B. Loring, L. Zarija, S. Menon, D. Morozov, P. O'Leary, T. Ranjan, M. Rasquin, C. Stone, V. Vishwanath, G. Weber, B. Whitlock, M. Wolf, J. Wu, and E. Bethel, "Performance analysis, design considerations, and applications of extreme-scale in situ infrastructures," SC '16 in IEEE Press, 2016, pp. 79-1-79-12
- P. O'Leary, M. Christon, S. Jourdain, C. Harris, M. Berndt, and A. Bauer, "HPCCloud: A Cloud/Web-Based Simulation Environment," CloudCom 15, 2015
- S. Ziegeler, C. Atkins, A. Bauer, and L. Pettey, "In Situ Analysis as a Parallel I/O Problem," Proceedings of ISAV 2015: In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-scale Analysis and Visualization, Nov. 2015.
- U. Ayachit, A. Bauer, B. Geveci, P. O'Leary, K. Moreland, N. Fabian, and J. Mauldin, "ParaView Catalyst: Enabling In Situ Data Analysis and Visualization," Proceedings of ISAV 2015: In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-scale Analysis and Visualization, Nov. 2015.
- B. Jimenez, R. Singh, and A. Bauer, Anatomy of a ParaView Catalyst Python Script. Kitware Inc., 2015
- A. Bauer et al., The Catalyst User’s Guide v2.0 ParaView 4.3.. Kitware Inc., 2015
- A. Bauer et al., "Exploratory Climate Data Visualization and Analysis Using DV3D and ParaView in UV-CDAT,"Jun. 2014.
- B. Nouanesengsy, J. Patchett, J. Ahrens, A. Bauer, A. Chaudhary, R. Miller, B. Geveci, G. M. Shipman, and D. N. Williams, "A model for optimizing file access patterns using spatio-temporal parallelism," UltraVis Workshop, Supercomputing 2013 , 2013
- D. Williams, T. Bremer, C. Doutriaux, J. Patchett, S. Williams, G. Shipman, R. Miller, D. Pugmire, B. Smith, C. Steed, E. Bethel, H. Childs, H. Krishnan, P. Prabhat, M. Wehner, C. Silva, E. Santos, D. Koop, T. Ellqvist, J. Poco, B. Geveci, A. Chaudhary, A. Bauer, A. Pletzer, D. Kindig, G. Potter, and T. Maxwell, "Ultrascale Visualization of Climate Data," Computer, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 68-76, Sep. 2013.
- N. D. Fabian et al., In-Situ Visualization with Catalyst. ACM SIGARCH/IEEE Computer Society, 2012
- N. Fabian, K. Moreland, D. Thompson, A. Bauer, P. Marion, B. Geveci, M. Rasquin, and K. Jansen, "The ParaView Coprocessing Library: A scalable, general purpose in situ visualization library ," LDAV 2011 IEEE Symposium on Large-Scale Data Analysis and Visualization, 2011
- A. Hines, S. Howington, B. White, O. Eslinger, C. Kees, M. Farthing, R. O'Bara, R. Blue, Y. Yaun, A. Bauer, and B. King, "Computational Model Builder (CMB): A Cross-Platform Suite of Tools for Model Creation and Setup," 2009 DoD High Performance Computing Modernization Program Users Group Conference, pp. 370-373, Jun. 2009.
- A. Patra, C. Nichita, A. Bauer, E. Pitman, M. Bursik, and M. Sheridan, "Parallel adaptive discontinuous Galerkin approximation for thin layer avalanche modeling," Computers & Geosciences, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 912-926, Jan. 2006.
- A. Patra, A. Bauer, C. Nichita, E. Pitman, M. Sheridan, M. Bursik, B. Rupp, A. Webber, and A. Stinton, "Parallel adaptive numerical simulation of dry avalanches over natural terrain," Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 139, no. 1-2, pp. 1-21, Jan. 2005.
- M. Sheridan, A. Stinton, A. Patra, E. Pitman, A. Bauer, and C. Nichita, "Evaluating Titan2D mass-flow model using the 1963 Little Tahoma Peak avalanches, Mount Rainier, Washington," Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 139, no. 1-2, pp. 89-102, Jan. 2005.
- A. Bauer and A. Patra, "Robust and efficient Domain Decomposition preconditioners for adaptive hp finite element approximations of linear elasticity with and without discontinuous coefficients," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 337-364, Jan. 2004.
- E. Pitman, C. Nichita, A. Patra, A. Bauer, M. Sheridan, and M. Bursik, "Computing granular avalanches and landslides," Physics of Fluids, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 3638-3646, Jan. 2003.
- E. Pitman, C. Nichita, A. Patra, A. Bauer, M. Bursik, and A. Weber, "A model of granular flows over an erodible surface," C.C. Nichita, A.K. Patra, A.C. Bauer, M. Bursik and A. Weber, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 589-599, Jan. 2003.
- A. Bauer and A. Patra, "Performance of parallel preconditioners for adaptive hp FEM discretization of incompressible flows," Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 18, pp. 305-313, Jan. 2002.
- A. Bauer et al., "Portable Efficient Solvers for Adaptive Finite Element Simulations of Elastostatics in Two and Three Dimensions," Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering: 23, Recent Developments in Domain Decomposition Methods, pp. 223-243, Jan. 2002.