Staff R&D Engineer
Andy Bauer joined Kitware in January 2008 as an R&D Engineer. Dr. Bauer’s general research area is on enabling technologies for large-scale, PDE-based numerical simulations. His two main focus areas at Kitware have been tools for generically specifying simulation code inputs for large scale simulations and performing coprocessing/in situ analysis and visualization with simulation codes on supercomputers. Part of his in situ work includes running ParaView Catalyst with 1Mi MPI processes on Mira at Argonne’s ALCF. Prior to joining Kitware, his work was primarily focused on mesh based numerical simulations of partial differential equations. Specific tasks include being part of the TSTT/ITAPS project for enabling high performance computing on large scale computing systems, working with physicists on numerical simulations of extended MHD using adaptive methods, and working on mesh search methods.
Dr. Bauer obtained his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Binghamton University in 1996. He earned his Ph.D. from the University at Buffalo in 2003, with his dissertation titled “Efficient Solution Procedures for Adaptive Finite Element Methods – Applications to Elliptic Problems”. This work focused on efficient mesh partitioning using Space Filling Curves and preconditioning of symmetric positive definite matrices for faster iterative solution convergence. While at UB he also did a post-doc with a group of mathematicians, computational scientists, geologists, and geographers working on simulating granular flows. His work has been published in several peer-reviewed, international conferences and journals.
- In situ methods, infrastructures, and applications on high performance computing platforms," Computer Graphics Forum, Jan. 2016. , "
- Recent Advancements in the Helios Rotorcraft Simulation Code," Apr. 2016. , "
- Performance analysis, design considerations, and applications of extreme-scale in situ infrastructures," Proceedings of the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, pp. 79:1--79:12, Jan. 2016. , "
- The Catalyst User’s Guide v2.0 ParaView 4.3.," Feb. 2015. , "
- Anatomy of a ParaView Catalyst Python Script," Jul. 2015. , "
- HPCCloud: A Cloud/Web-Based Simulation Environment," Dec. 2015. , "
- In situ analysis as a parallel i/o problem," Proceedings of ISAV 2015: In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-scale Analysis and Visualization, Nov. 2015. , "
- Paraview catalyst: enabling in situ data analysis and visualization," Proceedings of ISAV 2015: In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-scale Analysis and Visualization, Nov. 2015. , "
- Exploratory Climate Data Visualization and Analysis Using DV3D and ParaView in UV-CDAT," Jun. 2014. , "
- A model for optimizing file access patterns using spatio-temporal parallelism," Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Ultrascale Visualization, Dec. 2013. , "
- Ultrascale visualization of climate data," Computer, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 68--76, Sep. 2013. , "
- In-Situ Visualization with Catalyst," Jan. 2012. , "
- The ParaView Coprocessing Library: A scalable, general purpose in situ visualization library ," Oct. 2011. , "
- Computational model builder (cmb): a cross-platform suite of tools for model creation and setup," 2009 DoD High Performance Computing Modernization Program Users Group Conference, pp. 370--373, Jun. 2009. , "
- Parallel adaptive discontinuous galerkin approximation for thin layer avalanche modeling," Computers & Geosciences, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 912--926, Jan. 2006. , "
- Parallel adaptive numerical simulation of dry avalanches over natural terrain," Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 139, no. 1-2, pp. 1--21, Jan. 2005. , "
- Evaluating titan2d mass-flow model using the 1963 little tahoma peak avalanches, mount rainier, washington," Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 139, no. 1-2, pp. 89--102, Jan. 2005. , "
- Robust and efficient domain decomposition preconditioners for adaptive hp finite element approximations of linear elasticity with and without discontinuous coefficients," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 337--364, Jan. 2004. , "
- Computing granular avalanches and landslides," Physics of Fluids, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 3638--3646, Jan. 2003. , "
- A model of granular flows over an erodible surface," C.C. Nichita, A.K. Patra, A.C. Bauer, M. Bursik and A. Weber, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 589--599, Jan. 2003. , "
- Performance of parallel preconditioners for adaptive hp fem discretization of incompressible flows," Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 18, pp. 305--313, Jan. 2002. , "
- Portable efficient solvers for adaptive finite element simulations of elastostatics in two and three dimensions," Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering: 23, Recent Developments in Domain Decomposition Methods, pp. 223--243, Jan. 2002. , "