Bhavan Vasu graduated from Visvesvaraya Technological University in Karnataka, India, where he studied electronics and communication engineering. He then went to Rochester Institute Of Technology (RIT) in New York for his M.S. in Computer Engineering. Bhavan joined Kitware as an intern on the computer vision team in 2018. Later that year, he returned to RIT to defend his master’s thesis on methodologies for exploring resiliency in neural network interpretations for satellite imagery during unfavorable conditions. After he completed his degree, he rejoined Kitware as an R&D engineer.
Bhavan previously worked as a research assistant for the Real Time Vision and Image Processing Laboratory and the Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science at RIT. Throughout his work and his research, he has focused on aerial imagery understanding, analysis, generation, and translation for applications such as change detection, network pruning, and network architecture design.
- B. Vasu and C. Long, "Iterative and Adaptive Sampling with Spatial Attention for Black-Box Model Explanations," in IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV), 2020. [URL]
- B. Vasu and A. Savakis, "Visualizing the Resilience of Deep Convolutional Network Interpretations.," in IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshops, 2019.
- F. Rahman, B. Vasu, and A. Savakis, "Resilience and Self-Healing of Deep Convolutional Object Detectors," in 2018 25th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), 2018. [URL]
- C. Law, R. Blue, D. Stoup, P. Tunison, A. Hoogs, B. Vasu, J. Van Cor, J. Kerekes, A. Savakis, T. Rovito, C. Stansifer, and S. Thomas, "Deep Learning for Object Detection and Classification in Satellite Imagery," in Proceedings of the MSS National Symposium on Sensor and Data Fusion, 2018.
- F. Rahman, B. Vasu, J. Cor, J. Kerekes, and A. Savakis, "Siamese Network with Multi-Level Features for Patch-Based Change Detection in Satellite Imagery," in 2018 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP), 2018. [URL]
- B. Vasu, F. Rahman, and A. Savakis, "Aerial-CAM: Salient Structures and Textures in Network Class Activation Maps of Aerial Imagery," in 2018 IEEE 13th Image, Video, and Multidimensional Signal Processing Workshop (IVMSP), 2018. [URL]