Meet the Team
Director of Commercial Solutions
Kitware North Carolina
M.S. in Computer Science
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
M.S. in Information Processing
B.S. Electrical Engineering
Julien Jomier is the director of commercial solutions at Kitware and is located in Carrboro, North Carolina. He will be overseeing Kitware’s Software Solutions Team. Julien will also be working to expand Kitware’s impact to a larger number of commercial customers by delivering comprehensive solutions based on Kitware’s open source platforms and technical research.
Julien first joined Kitware in 2005 and helped launch the Carrboro, North Carolina office. Five years later, he started Kitware’s European office in Lyon, France. While serving as CEO of our France location, he grew the office to 30 employees and oversaw many impactful commercial software development projects.
In addition to his leadership and business development roles, Julien is also a software developer. Julien leads the development of ActiViz (the C# wrapping for VTK) as well as AR/VR capabilities for industrial visualization. Julien also regularly teaches courses on CMake. He was the main architect of CDash, an open-source, distributed, software quality system companion of CMake and CTest. As an initial developer of the Insight Toolkit (ITK) as well as the Image-Guided Surgery Toolkit (IGSTK), Julien was involved in applications for stereo reconstruction, model-to-image registration, and vessel analysis.
Prior to joining Kitware, Julien was a Faculty Research Lecturer of Radiology at the University of North Carolina and a member of the Computer-Aided Diagnosis and Display Laboratory.
Julien received both his bachelor’s degree and his master’s degree in electrical engineering and information processing from the École Supérieure de Chimie Physique Électronique de Lyon (CPE-Lyon) in France in 2002. In 2003, he received his second master’s degree in computer science from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. During his studies, he worked on a variety of projects in the areas of parallel and distributed computing, mobile computing, image processing, and visualization. As part of his project management missions, Julien obtained the Professional SCRUM Master certification.
Invited Talks & Media
Closing keynote speaker, Open science, National Federation of Advanced Information Services, 2017
- C. Gueunet, P. Fortin, J. Jomier, and J. Tierny, "Task-Based Augmented Contour Trees with Fibonacci Heaps," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1889-1905, Aug. 2019. [URL]
- C. Gueunet, P. Fortin, J. Jomier, and J. Tierny, "Task-based Augmented Reeb Graphs with Dynamic ST-Trees," Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization, pp. 11 pages, 2019. [URL]
- S. Sorokan, A. Jefferies, and S. Miller, "L’imagerie du cerveau du nouveau-né à terme," Paediatrics & Child Health, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 329-335, Jul. 2018. [URL]
- J. Jomier, "Open science – towards reproducible research," Information Services & Use, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 361-367, Nov. 2017. [URL]
- C. Gueunet, P. Fortin, J. Jomier, and J. Tierny, "Contour forests: Fast multi-threaded augmented contour trees," in 2016 IEEE 6th Symposium on Large Data Analysis and Visualization (LDAV), 2016. [URL]
- N. Passat, S. Salmon, J. Armspach, B. Naegel, C. Prud’homme, H. Talbot, A. Fortin, S. Garnotel, O. Merveille, O. Miraucourt, R. Tarabay, V. Chabannes, A. Dufour, A. Jezierska, O. Balédent, E. Durand, L. Najman, M. Szopos, A. Ancel, J. Baruthio, M. Delbany, S. Fall, G. Pagé, O. Génevaux, M. Ismail, P. de Sousa, M. Thiriet, and J. Jomier, "From Real MRA to Virtual MRA: Towards an Open-Source Framework," in Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention - MICCAI 2016. Springer International Publishing, 2016, pp. 335-343. [URL]
- L. Cevidanes, A. Ruellas, J. Jomier, T. Nguyen, S. Pieper, F. Budin, M. Styner, and B. Paniagua, "Incorporating 3-dimensional models in online articles," American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 147, no. 5, pp. S195-S204, May 2015. [URL]
- K. Martin and B. Hoffman, Mastering CMake: a cross-platform build system. Kitware Inc, 2015.
- A. Ribés, B. Lorendeau, J. Jomier, and Y. Fournier, "In-Situ Visualization in Computational Fluid Dynamics Using Open-Source tools: Integration of Catalyst into Code_Saturne," in Topological and Statistical Methods for Complex Data. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2015, pp. 21-37. [URL]
- I. Aalbersberg, P. Cos Alvarez, J. Jomier, C. Marion, and E. Zudilova-Seinstra, "Bringing 3D visualization into the online research article," Information Services & Use, vol. 34, no. 1-2, pp. 27-37, Sep. 2014. [URL]
- J. Finet, R. Ortiz, J. Andruejol, A. Enquobahrie, J. Jomier, J. Payne, and S. Aylward, "Bender: An Open Source Software for Efficient Model Posing and Morphing," in Biomedical Simulation. Springer International Publishing, 2014, pp. 203-210. [URL]
- M. McCormick, X. Liu, J. Jomier, C. Marion, and L. Ibanez, "ITK: enabling reproducible research and open science," Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, vol. 8, 2014. [URL]
- C. Marion, J. Pouderoux, J. Jomier, S. Jourdain, M. Hanwell, and U. Ayachit, "A hybrid visualization system for molecular models," in Proceedings of the International Conference on 3D Web Technology, 2013. [URL]
- J. Jomier, S. Jourdain, U. Ayachit, and C. Marion, "Remote visualization of large datasets with MIDAS and ParaViewWeb," in Proceedings of the International Conference on 3D Web Technology, 2011. [URL]
- K. Krishnan, L. Ibanez, W. Turner, J. Jomier, and R. Avila, "An open-source toolkit for the volumetric measurement of CT lung lesions," Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 14, pp. 15256, Jul. 2010. [URL]
- J. Jomier, S. Aylward, C. Marion, J. Lee, and M. Styner, "A digital archiving system and distributed server-side processing of large datasets," in SPIE Medical Imaging, 2009. [URL]
- J. Jomier, L. Ibanez, A. Enquobahrie, D. Pace, and K. Cleary, "An open-source framework for testing tracking devices using Lego Mindstorms," in SPIE Medical Imaging, 2009. [URL]
- J. Lee, J. Jomier, S. Aylward, M. Tyszka, S. Moy, J. Lauder, and M. Styner, "Evaluation of atlas based mouse brain segmentation," in SPIE Medical Imaging, 2009. [URL]
- A. Enquobahrie, P. Cheng, K. Gary, L. Ibanez, D. Gobbi, F. Lindseth, Z. Yaniv, S. Aylward, J. Jomier, and K. Cleary, "The Image-Guided Surgery Toolkit IGSTK: An Open Source C++ Software Toolkit," Journal of Digital Imaging, vol. 20, no. S1, pp. 21-33, Nov. 2007. [URL]
- P. Cheng, L. Ibanez, D. Gobbi, K. Gary, S. Aylward, J. Jomier, A. Enquobahrie, H. Zhang, H. Kim, M. Blake, and K. Cleary, "The Image-Guided Surgery ToolKit IGSTK: an open source C++ software toolkit," in SPIE Medical Imaging, 2007. [URL]
- S. Aylward, J. Jomier, S. Barre, B. Davis, and L. Ibanez, "Optimizing ITK's Registration Methods for Multi-processor, Shared-memory Systems," in MICCAI Workshop on Open Source and Open Data, 2007.
- M. Koenig, W. Spindler, J. Rexilius, J. Jomier, F. Link, and H. Peitgen, "Embedding VTK and ITK into a visual programming and rapid prototyping platform," in Medical Imaging, 2006. [URL]
- P. Cheng, H. Zhang, H. Kim, K. Gary, M. Blake, D. Gobbi, S. Aylward, J. Jomier, A. Enquobahrie, R. Avila, L. Ibanez, and K. Cleary, "IGSTK: Framework and example application using an open source toolkit for image-guided surgery applications," in SPIE Medical Imaging, 2006. [URL]
- G. Gerig, B. Davis, P. Lorenzen, S. Xu, M. Jomier, J. Piven, and S. Joshi, "Computational Anatomy to Assess Longitudinal Trajectory of Brain Growth," in Proceedings of the International Symposium on 3D Data Processing, Visualization, and Transmission, 2006. [URL]
- J. Jomier, E. Bullitt, M. Van Horn, C. Pathak, and S. Aylward, "3D/2D Model-to-Image Registration Applied to TIPS Surgery," in Proceedings of the Internation Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, 2006. [URL]
- J. Rexilius, J. Jomier, W. Spindler, F. Link, M. König, and H. Peitgen, "Combining a Visual Programming and Rapid Prototyping Platform with ITK," in Bildverarbeitung für die Medizin 2005. Springer-Verlag, 2005, pp. 460-464. [URL]
- J. Jomier, V. LeDigarcher, and S. Aylward, "Automatic vascular tree formation using the Mahalanobis distance," in Proceedings of the Internation Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, 2005.
- J. Jomier, V. LeDigarcher, and S. Aylward, "Comparison of Vessel Segmentations Using STAPLE," in Proceedings of the Internation Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, 2005. [URL]
- S. Aylward, J. Jomier, C. Vivert, V. LeDigarcher, and E. Bullitt, "Spatial graphs for intra-cranial vascular network characterization, generation, and discrimination," in Proceedings of the Internation Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, 2005.
- J. Jomier, S. Weeks, and S. Aylward, "Vascular image registration for intra-operative 3D ultrasound annotation," International Congress Series, vol. 1268, pp. 1308, Jun. 2004. [URL]
- S. Joshi, B. Davis, M. Jomier, and G. Gerig, "Unbiased diffeomorphic atlas construction for computational anatomy," NeuroImage, vol. 23 Suppl 1, pp. S151-160, 2004. [URL]
- J. Jomier, E. Rault, and S. Aylward, "Automatic quantification of pupil dilation under stress," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, 2004. [URL]
- S. Aylward, J. Jomier, S. Weeks, and E. Bullitt, "Registration and Analysis of Vascular Images," International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 55, no. 2-3, pp. 123-138, Nov. 2003. [URL]
- D. Wallace, J. Jomier, S. Aylward, and M. Landers, "Computer-automated quantification of plus disease in retinopathy of prematurity," Journal of AAPOS: the official publication of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 126-130, Apr. 2003. [URL]
- D. Wallace, A. Capone, Jr., J. Jomier, S. Aylward, M. Landers, III, and M. Trese, "Computer Automated Quantification of Plus Disease in RetCam Images of Retinopathy of Prematurity," in Proceedings of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthamology Annual Meeting, 2003.
- J. Jomier, D. Wallace, and S. Aylward, "Quantification of Retinopathy of Prematurity via Vessel Segmentation," in Proceedings of the Internation Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, 2003. [URL]
- D. Chillet, J. Jomier, D. Cool, and S. Aylward, "Vascular Atlas Formation Using a Vessel-to-Image Affine Registration Method," in Proceedings of the Internation Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, 2003. [URL]
- S. Aylward, J. Jomier, J. Guyon, and S. Weeks, "Intra-operative 3D ultrasound augmentation," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, 2002. [URL]