Dr. Martin is a co-founder of Kitware and currently serves as a Distinguished Engineer. Prior to this position, Dr. Martin was Chairman and CFO of Kitware. He co-founded Kitware in 1998, and since then, he has helped grow the company to its current position as a leading R&D provider, with clients across many government and commercial sectors. As CFO, he was responsible for the overall financial management of the company, for its financial reporting and transparency, and for multiple corporate functions including contracting, controller, compliance, accounts payable/accounts receivable, payroll, external audit, legal, and long-range planning.
Dr. Martin has made contributions to the fields of visualization and software architecture including a number of peer reviewed papers and patents. He is co-author of The Visualization Toolkit: An Object Oriented Approach to Computer Graphics textbook, which is used for teaching visualization at many universities. Dr. Martin was co-developer and lead architect for the Visualization Toolkit software (www.vtk.org), which is considered to be one of the most comprehensive and praised visualization packages available. He is also a coauthor and developer for CMake (www.cmake.org), a very popular build system tool that is seeing explosive growth.
Dr. Martin received bachelor degrees in Physics and Computer Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in 1990. He then joined General Electric Corporate Research and Development as a member of the Software Technology Program. During this program, Dr. Martin completed his master’s degree in Electrical & Computer Systems Engineering at RPI with a thesis on abnormality detection for cutting tool fault prediction. In 1998, Dr. Martin completed his Ph.D. in Computer Science at RPI with his thesis titled “Image Guided Borescope Tip Pose Determination.” This thesis combines the fields of computer graphics and computer vision to address model-based pose estimation.
- M. Hanwell, K. Martin, A. Chaudhary, and L. Avila, The Visualization Toolkit (VTK): Rewriting the rendering code for modern graphics cards. Elsevier, 2015
- J. Biddiscombe, B. Geveci, K. Martin, K. Morel, and D. Thompson, "Time dependent processing in a parallel pipeline architecture," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1376-1383, Dec. 2007.
- J. Biddiscombe, B. Geveci, and K. Martin, A Pipeline Architecture for Parallel Processing of Time-Dependent Data within a VTK Framework. EGPGV, 2007
- J. Ahrens, N. Desai, P. McCormick, K. Martin, and J. Woodring, "A modular extensible visualization system architecture for culled prioritized data streaming," Proceedings of SPIE Visualization and Data Analysis, vol. 6495, Jan. 2007.
- K. Martin and B. Hoffman, "An Open Source Approach to Developing Software in a Small Organization," IEEE Software, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 46-53, Jan. 2007.
- K. Martin et al., Multiple Modality Biomagnetic Analysis System. Biomag Conference Proceedings, 2006
- W. Schroeder, K. Martin, and B. Lorensen, The visualization toolkit: an object-oriented approach to 3D graphics [visualize data in 3D - medical, engineering or scientific; build your own applications with C++, Tcl, Java or Python; includes source code for VTK (supports UNIX, Windows and Mac)]. Kitware, 2006
- K. Martin et al., "Integrating segmentation methods from the Insight Toolkit into a visualization application," Medical Image Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9, no. 6, Oct. 2005.
- W. J. Schroeder, L. Ibáñez, and K. Martin, "Software Process: The Key to Developing Robust, Reusable and Maintainable Open-Source Software," in Proc. of ISBI Nano To Macro, 2004, pp. 648-651
- K. Martin and B. Hoffman, Mastering CMake: A Cross-Platform Build System, second edition. Kitware Inc., 2004
- W. Schroeder and K. Martin, The Visualization Toolkit. C. D. Hansen and C. R. Johnson, editors. Elsevier, 2004
- W. Schroeder and K. Martin, Overview of Visualization. C. D. Hansen and C. R. Johnson, editors. Elsevier, 2004
- W. Hoffman and K. Martin, "The CMake Build Manager," Dr. Dobb's Journal, M and T PUBLISHING INC, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 40-47, Jan. 2003.
- K. Martin and B. Hoffman, Mastering CMake: A Cross-Platform Build System. Kitware Inc, 2003
- W. J. Schroeder, K. Martin, and W. Lorensen, The Visualization Toolkit: An Object-Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics, Third Edition. Kitware, Inc. (formerly Prentice-Hall), 2003
- K. Martin et al., "Creating Libraries For Multiple Programming Languages," Dr. Dobb's Journal. February 2002. , vol. 27, pp. 54-56-59, Feb. 2002.
- J. P. Ahrens, K. Brislawn, K. Martin, B. Geveci, C. Law, and M. E. Papka, "Large-Scale Data Visualization Using Parallel Data Streaming," IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, vol. 21, pp. 34-41, Jul. 2001.
- H. Pfister, W. E. Lorensen, C. L. Bajaj, G. L. Kindlmann, W. J. Schroeder, L. Avila, K. Martin, R. Machiraju, and J. Lee, "The Transfer Function Bake-Off," IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 16-22, Jun. 2001.
- W. J. Schroeder, L. S. Avila, K. M. Martin, W. Hoffman, and C. Law, The Visualization Toolkit User's Guide. Kitware, Inc., 2001
- K. Martin and C. V. Stewart, "Real Time Tracking of Borescope Tip Pose," Image and Vision Computing, Elsevier, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 795-804, Jan. 2000.
- C. Law, K. M. Martin, W. J. Schroeder, and J. E. Temkin, A Multi-Threaded Streaming Pipeline Architecure for Large Structured Data Sets. Proc. of IEEE Visualization, 1999
- W. Schroeder, K. Martin, B. Lorensen, L. Sobierajski, R. Avila, and C. Law, The Visualization Toolkit, 2nd Edition. Prentice Hall, 1998
- C. Hardy, R. Darrow, J. Pauly, A. Kerr, C. Dumoulin, B. Hu, and K. Martin, "Interactive coronary MRI," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 40, pp. 105-111, Jan. 1998.
- L. Hoebel, W. E. Lorensen, and K. Martin, "Integrating graphics and abstract data to visualize temporal constraints," ACM SIGART, Association of Computing Machinery, vol. 9, pp. 18-23, Jan. 1998.
- W. J. Schroeder, K. Martin, and B. Lorensen, The Visualization Toolkit: An Object Orient Approach to Computer Graphics, Second Edition. Prentice Hall, 1997
- W. J. Schroeder, K. Martin, and W. E. Lorensen, "The Design and Implementation of an Object-Oriented Toolkit for 3D Graphics and Visualization," Proc. IEEE Visualization '96 in ACM Press, 1996, pp. 516-593
- K. Martin, An Approach to the Automated Wrapping of a C++ Class Library Into Tcl. Proceedings of the USENIX Tcl/Tk, 1996
- B. Yamrom and K. Martin, Vector Field Animation with Texture Maps. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications , 1995