Dr. Martin has made contributions to the fields of visualization and software architecture including a number of peer reviewed papers and patents. He is co-author of The Visualization Toolkit: An Object Oriented Approach to Computer Graphics textbook, which is used for teaching visualization at many universities. Dr. Martin was co-developer and lead architect for the Visualization Toolkit software (www.vtk.org), which is considered to be one of the most comprehensive and praised visualization packages available. He is also a coauthor and developer for CMake (www.cmake.org), a very popular build system tool that is seeing explosive growth.
Dr. Martin received bachelor degrees in Physics and Computer Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in 1990. He then joined General Electric Corporate Research and Development as a member of the Software Technology Program. During this program, Dr. Martin completed his master’s degree in Electrical & Computer Systems Engineering at RPI with a thesis on abnormality detection for cutting tool fault prediction. In 1998, Dr. Martin completed his Ph.D. in Computer Science at RPI with his thesis titled “Image Guided Borescope Tip Pose Determination.” This thesis combines the fields of computer graphics and computer vision to address model-based pose estimation.
- A. Lasso, H. Nam, P. Dinh, C. Pinter, J. Fillion-Robin, S. Pieper, S. Jhaveri, J. Vimort, K. Martin, M. Asselin, F. McGowan, R. Kikinis, G. Fichtinger, and M. Jolley, "Interaction with Volume-Rendered Three-Dimensional Echocardiographic Images in Virtual Reality," Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, Aug. 2018. [URL]
- P. O'Leary, S. Jhaveri, A. Chaudhary, W. Sherman, K. Martin, A. Vacanti, E. Whiting, J. Money, and S. McKenzie, "Enhancements to VTK enabling scientific visualization in immersive environments," in Proceedings of the IEEE Virtual Reality Conference, 2017. [URL]
- M. Hanwell, K. Martin, A. Chaudhary, and L. Avila, "The Visualization Toolkit (VTK): Rewriting the rendering code for modern graphics cards," SoftwareX, vol. 1-2, pp. 9-12, Sep. 2015. [URL]
- K. Martin and B. Hoffman, Mastering CMake: a cross-platform build system. Kitware Inc, 2015.
- K. Martin, B. Hoffman, and A. Cedilnik, Mastering CMake: a cross-platform build system, 6. ed. Kitware, 2013.
- K. Martin, B. Hoffman, and A. Cedilnik, Mastering CMake: a cross-platform build system, 4. ed. Kitware, 2008.
- J. Biddiscombe, B. Geveci, K. Martin, K. Moreland, and D. Thompson, "Time Dependent Processing in a Parallel Pipeline Architecture," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1376-1383, Nov. 2007. [URL]
- K. Martin and B. Hoffman, "An Open Source Approach to Developing Software in a Small Organization," IEEE Software, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 46-53, Jan. 2007. [URL]
- J. Ahrens, N. Desai, P. McCormick, K. Martin, and J. Woodring, "A modular extensible visualization system architecture for culled prioritized data streaming," in Electronic Imaging 2007, 2007. [URL]
- J. Biddiscombe, B. Geveci, and K. Martin, "A Pipeline Architecture for Parallel Processing of Time-Dependent Data within a VTK Framework," in Proceedings of the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization, 2007.
- W. Schroeder, L. Avila, K. Martin, W. Hoffman, and C. Law, The VTK User's Guide. Kitware, 2006.
- W. Schroeder, K. Martin, B. Lorensen, L. Sobierajski, R. Avila, and C. Law, Visualization Toolkit: An Object-Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics, 4th. Kitware, 2006.
- K. Martin, L. Ibáñez, L. Avila, S. Barré, and J. Kaspersen, "Integrating segmentation methods from the Insight Toolkit into a visualization application," Medical Image Analysis, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 579-593, Dec. 2005. [URL]
- W. Schroeder and K. Martin, "Overview of Visualization," in Visualization Handbook. Elsevier, 2005, pp. 3-35. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, L. Ibanez, and K. Martin, "Software Process: The key to developing robust, reusable and maintainable open-source software," in 2004 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: Macro to Nano (IEEE Cat No. 04EX821), 2004. [URL]
- W. Hoffman and K. Martin, "The CMake build manager," Dr. Dobb's Journal, 2003.
- K. Martin, W. Hoffman, and B. Geveci, "Creating Libraries for Multiple Programming Languages," Dr. Dobb's Journal, 2002.
- J. Ahrens, K. Brislawn, K. Martin, B. Geveci, C. Law, and M. Papka, "Large-scale data visualization using parallel data streaming," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 34-41, 2001. [URL]
- K. Martin, S. Erne, C. Law, S. Conforto, J. Mallick, and B. Tatar, "Multiple Modality Biomagnetic Analysis System," in Biomag 96. Springer New York, 2000, pp. 1146-1149. [URL]
- C. Law, W. Schroeder, K. Martin, and J. Temkin, "A multi-threaded streaming pipeline architecture for large structured data sets," in Proceedings Visualization '99 (Cat. No.99CB37067), 1999. [URL]
- C. Hardy, R. Darrow, J. Pauly, A. Ken, C. Dumoulin, B. Hu, and K. Martin, "Interactive coronary MRI," Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 105-111, Jul. 1998. [URL]
- L. Hoebel, W. Lorensen, and K. Martin, "Integrating graphics and abstract data to visualize temporal constraints," ACM SIGART Bulletin, vol. 9, no. 3-4, pp. 18-23, Dec. 1998. [URL]
- K. Martin, C. Stewart, and R. Hammond, "Real time tracking of borescope tip pose," in Proceedings Third IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision. WACV'96, 1996. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, K. Martin, and W. Lorensen, "The design and implementation of an object-oriented toolkit for 3D graphics and visualization," in Proceedings of the IEEE Visualization Conference, 1996. [URL]
- B. Yamrom and K. Martin, "Vector field animation with texture maps," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 22-24, Mar. 1995. [URL]