Dr. Martin is a co-founder of Kitware and currently serves as a Distinguished Engineer. Prior to this position, Dr. Martin was Chairman and CFO of Kitware. He co-founded Kitware in 1998, and since then, he has helped grow the company to its current position as a leading R&D provider, with clients across many government and commercial sectors. As CFO, he was responsible for the overall financial management of the company, for its financial reporting and transparency, and for multiple corporate functions including contracting, controller, compliance, accounts payable/accounts receivable, payroll, external audit, legal, and long-range planning.
Dr. Martin has made contributions to the fields of visualization and software architecture including a number of peer reviewed papers and patents. He is co-author of The Visualization Toolkit: An Object Oriented Approach to Computer Graphics textbook, which is used for teaching visualization at many universities. Dr. Martin was co-developer and lead architect for the Visualization Toolkit software (www.vtk.org), which is considered to be one of the most comprehensive and praised visualization packages available. He is also a coauthor and developer for CMake (www.cmake.org), a very popular build system tool that is seeing explosive growth.
Dr. Martin received bachelor degrees in Physics and Computer Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in 1990. He then joined General Electric Corporate Research and Development as a member of the Software Technology Program. During this program, Dr. Martin completed his master’s degree in Electrical & Computer Systems Engineering at RPI with a thesis on abnormality detection for cutting tool fault prediction. In 1998, Dr. Martin completed his Ph.D. in Computer Science at RPI with his thesis titled “Image Guided Borescope Tip Pose Determination.” This thesis combines the fields of computer graphics and computer vision to address model-based pose estimation.
- The visualization toolkit (vtk): rewriting the rendering code for modern graphics cards," SoftwareX, May 2015. , "
- A modular extensible visualization system architecture for culled prioritized data streaming," vol. 6495, Jan. 2007. , "
- A Pipeline Architecture for Parallel Processing of Time-Dependent Data within a VTK Framework," May 2007. , "
- Time dependent processing in a parallel pipeline architecture," vol. 13, no. 6, p. 1376–1383, Dec. 2007. , "
- An Open Source Approach to Developing Software in a Small Organization," vol. 24, no. 1, p. 46–53, Jan. 2007. , "
- Multiple Modality Biomagnetic Analysis System," Mar. 2006. , "
- The visualization toolkit: an object-oriented approach to 3D graphics [visualize data in 3D - medical, engineering or scientific; build your own applications with C++, Tcl, Java or Python; includes source code for VTK (supports UNIX, Windows and Mac)]," Jan. 2006. , "
- Integrating segmentation methods from the Insight Toolkit into a visualization application," vol. 9, no. 6, p. 579–593, Dec. 2005. , "
- Integrating segmentation methods from the Insight Toolkit into a visualization application," vol. 9, no. 6, Oct. 2005. , "
- Mastering CMake: A Cross-Platform Build System, second edition," Jan. 2004. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit," Jan. 2004. , "
- Overview of visualization," The Visualization Handbook, Jan. 2004. , "
- Software Process: The Key to Developing Robust, Reusable and Maintainable Open-Source Software," p. 648–651, Apr. 2004. , "
- The CMake Build Manager," vol. 28, no. 1, p. 40–47, Jan. 2003. , "
- Mastering CMake: A Cross-Platform Build System," Jan. 2003. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit: An Object-Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics, Third Edition," Jan. 2003. , "
- Creating Libraries For Multiple Programming Languages," vol. 27, p. 54, 56–59, Feb. 2002. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit User's Guide," Jan. 2001. , "
- The Transfer Function Bake-Off," vol. 21, no. 3, p. 16–22, Jun. 2001. , "
- Large-Scale Data Visualization Using Parallel Data Streaming," vol. 21, p. 34–41, Jul. 2001. , "
- Real Time Tracking of Borescope Tip Pose," vol. 18, no. 10, p. 795–804, Jan. 2000. , "
- A Multi-Threaded Streaming Pipeline Architecure for Large Structured Data Sets," Oct. 1999. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit, 2nd Edition," Jan. 1998. , "
- Interactive coronary MRI," vol. 40, p. 105–111, Jan. 1998. , "
- Integrating graphics and abstract data to visualize temporal constraints," vol. 9, p. 18–23, Jan. 1998. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit: An Object Orient Approach to Computer Graphics, Second Edition," Jan. 1997. , "
- An Approach to the Automated Wrapping of a C++ Class Library Into Tcl," Jul. 1996. , "
- The Design and Implementation of an Object-Oriented Toolkit for 3D Graphics and Visualization," p. 516–593, Nov. 1996. , "
- Vector Field Animation with Texture Maps," Mar. 1995. , "