Zhaohui Harry Sun
Staff R&D Engineer
Dr. Sun joined Kitware, Inc. as a Research & Development Engineer in 2010. Prior to joining Kitware, he was a lead computer scientist with the Visualization and Computer Vision Lab at GE Global Research, a principal/senior research scientist with the Research & Development Laboratories at Eastman Kodak and an intern with the Imaging & Visualization Department at Siemens Corporate Research.
Dr. Sun received his B.E. and M.E. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Information Science from the University of Science and Technology of China in 1992 and 1995, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Rochester in 1998 and 2000, respectively. His research interests include vision technologies, digital video/image analysis, medical imaging, and multimedia computing. He has published over 40 technical papers and reports, and has more than 20 U.S. and international issued patents and pending applications.
- E. Wengrowski, Z. Sun, and A. Hoogs, "Reflection correspondence for exposing photograph manipulation," in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Beijing, 2017.
- Z. Sun, J. Baumes, P. Tunison, M. Turek, and A. Hoogs, "Tattoo detection and localization using region-based deep learning," in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Cancun, 2016.
- A. Hoogs et al., "An end-to-end system for content-based video retrieval using behavior, actions, and appearance with interactive query refinement," in IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS), Karlsruhe, Germany, 2015.
- M. Dawkins, Z. Sun, A. Basharat, A. Perera, and A. Hoogs, "Tracking nautical objects in real-time via layered saliency detection," presented at the SPIE Defense + Security, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 2014.
- Z. Sun et al., "Vehicle change detection from aerial imagery using detection response maps," presented at the SPIE Defense + Security, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 2014.
- Z. Sun and A. Hoogs, "Image comparison by compound disjoint information with applications to perceptual visual quality assessment, image registration and tracking," International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 461-488, Jul. 2010.
- Z. Sun, R. Kaucic, P. Mendoca, and A. Can, "A Statistical Approach to Industrial Anomaly Detection," presented at the European Conference on Nondestructive Testing, 2010.
- M. Chan, A. Hoogs, Z. Sun, J. Schmiederer, R. Bhotika, and G. Doretto, "Event recognition with fragmented object tracks," in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Hong Kong, China, 2006.
- Zhaohui Sun, "Video halftoning," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 678-686, Mar. 2006.
- Z. Sun and A. Hoogs, "Image comparison by compound disjoint information," in IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- Zhaohui Sun, "A three-frame approach to constraint-consistent motion estimation," in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Hong Kong, China, 2006.
- Z. Sun and L. Ray, "Multimodal image registration based on compound mutual information," in SPIE Medical Imaging, San Diego, CA, 2005.
- Zhaohui Sun, "A method to generate halftone video," in International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 2005.
- Zhaohui Sun, J. Riek, and A. Loui, "High resolution multimedia slide show composition for video CD and DVD rendering," in International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), Baltimore, MD, USA, 2003.
- Zhaohui Sun, "Adaptation for multiple cue integration," in IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Madison, WI, USA, 2003.
- C. Chen, Z. Sun, H. Li, J. Cai, and L. Cao, "Image transmission over noisy channels: TCQ-based coding schemes," in Series in Machine Perception and Artificial Intelligence. WORLD SCIENTIFIC, 2002, pp. 307-329.
- Zhaohui Sun, A. Murat Tekalp, N. Navab, and V. Ramesh, "Interactive optimization of 3D shape and 2D correspondence using multiple geometric constraints via POCS," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 562-569, Apr. 2002.
- Z. Sun, V. Ramesh, and A. Tekalp, "Error Characterization of the Factorization Method," Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 110-137, May. 2001.
- Z. Sun, "Object-based video processing with depth," Ph.D. dissertation, University of Rochester, 2000.
- Chang Wen Chen and Zhaohui Sun, "Image transmission over noisy channels with variable-coefficient fixed-length coding scheme," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 680-682, Aug. 1999.
- C. Chen and Z. Sun, "Uniform trellis coded quantization for image transmission over noisy channels," Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 14, no. 6-8, pp. 575-584, May. 1999.
- Z. Sun, V. Ramesh, and A. Tekalp, "Error Characterization of the Factorization Approach to Shape and Motion Recovery," presented at the International Workshop on Vision Algorithms (IWVA), 1999.
- Zhaohui Sun and A. Tekalp, "Trifocal motion modeling for object-based video compression and manipulation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 667-685, Sep. 1998.