Meet the Team
Christos Tsolakis, Ph.D.
Senior R&D Engineer
Kitware New York
Clifton Park, NY
Ph.D. in Computer Science
Old Dominion University
B.S. in Mathematics
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Christos Tsolakis, Ph.D. is a senior R&D engineer on Kitware’s Scientific Computing Team located in Clifton Park, New York. He develops visualization algorithms in addition to maintaining and expanding visualization toolkits and applications, including the Visualization Toolkit (VTK) and ParaView.
Prior to joining full-time, Christos was an R&D scientific software developer intern at Kitware during the Summer and Fall of 2020. During these periods, he had the chance to work and contribute to VTK and Paraview as well as familiarise himself with the capabilities of SMTK.
In 2019, Christos’ paper “Anisotropic Mesh Adaptation Pipeline For The 3D Laminar Flow Over a Delta Wing,” won the best presentation award in the General Engineering track at the Modeling, Simulation, and Visualization Student Capstone Conference in Virginia. He was afterwards invited to present the same paper at the 2019 MODSIM World Conference.
Christos was selected to participate in the 2017 Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing. This highly competitive program is part of the Exascale Computing Project, a collaborative effort of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science and the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), to provide intensive training for designing, implementing, and executing computational science and engineering applications on current high-end computing systems and the leadership-class computing systems of the future.
Christos received his Ph.D. in computer science from Old Dominion University in 2021. In 2014, he received his bachelor’s degree in mathematics from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece.
Old Dominion Scholar Fellowship presented by Old Dominion University, 2020-2021
Best Presentation Award in the General Engineering Track presented by Modeling, Simulation, and Visualization Student Capstone Conference, 2019
Old Dominion Modeling and Simulation Fellowship presented by Old Dominion University, 2016-2019
Outstanding Graduate Researcher Award presented by the Computer Science Department at Old Dominion University, 2018
NSF Travel Award presented at the 27th International Meshing Roundtable and User Forum, 2018
- P. Thomadakis, C. Tsolakis, and N. Chrisochoides, "Multithreaded runtime framework for parallel and adaptive applications," Engineering with Computers, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 4675-4695, Oct. 2022. [URL]
- C. Tsolakis, P. Thomadakis, and N. Chrisochoides, "Tasking framework for adaptive speculative parallel mesh generation," The Journal of Supercomputing, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 1-32, Apr. 2022. [URL]
- F. Drakopoulos, C. Tsolakis, A. Angelopoulos, Y. Liu, C. Yao, K. Kavazidi, N. Foroglou, A. Fedorov, S. Frisken, R. Kikinis, A. Golby, and N. Chrisochoides, "Adaptive Physics-Based Non-Rigid Registration for Immersive Image-Guided Neuronavigation Systems," Frontiers in Digital Health, vol. 2, pp. 613608, Feb. 2021. [URL]
- C. Tsolakis, N. Chrisochoides, M. Park, A. Loseille, and T. Michal, "Parallel Anisotropic Unstructured Grid Adaptation," AIAA Journal, pp. 1-13, Aug. 2021. [URL]
- F. Drakopoulos, C. Tsolakis, and N. Chrisochoides, "Fine-Grained Speculative Topological Transformation Scheme for Local Reconnection Methods," AIAA Journal, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 4007-4018, Sep. 2019. [URL]
- B. Zhou, B. Diskin, N. Gauger, J. Pardue, A. Chernikov, C. Tsolakis, F. Drakopoulos, and N. Chrisochoides, "Hybrid RANS/LES Simulation of Vortex Breakdown Over a Delta Wing," in AIAA Aviation 2019 Forum, 2019. [URL]
- K. Garner, P. Thomadakis, T. Kennedy, C. Tsolakis, and N. Chrisochoides, "On the End-User Productivity of a Pseudo-Constrained Parallel Data Refinement Method for the Advancing Front Local Reconnection Mesh Generation Software," in AIAA Aviation 2019 Forum, 2019. [URL]
- N. Chrisochoides, A. Chernikov, T. Kennedy, C. Tsolakis, and K. Garner, "Parallel Data Refinement Layer of a Telescopic Approach for Extreme-scale Parallel Mesh Generation for CFD Applications," in 2018 Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2018. [URL]
- P. Thomadakis, C. Tsolakis, K. Vogiatzis, A. Kot, and N. Chrisochoides, "Parallel Software Framework for Large-Scale Parallel Mesh Generation and Adaptation for CFD Solvers," in 2018 Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2018. [URL]
- D. Feng, C. Tsolakis, A. Chernikov, and N. Chrisochoides, "Scalable 3D hybrid parallel Delaunay image-to-mesh conversion algorithm for distributed shared memory architectures," Computer-Aided Design, vol. 85, pp. 10-19, Apr. 2017. [URL]
- D. Feng, C. Tsolakis, A. Chernikov, and N. Chrisochoides, "Scalable 3D Hybrid Parallel Delaunay Image-to-Mesh Conversion Algorithm for Distributed Shared Memory Architectures," Procedia Engineering, vol. 124, pp. 18-30, 2015. [URL]