Matthew McCormick received a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering with a focus on biomechanics from Marquette University in 2005. While at Marquette, he engaged in an internship at Boston Scientific Corporation working on peripheral vascular nitinol stents. He continued his studies in Biomedical Engineering in the doctorate program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where his research covered not only on vascular mechanics, but also signal processing, medical imaging physics, and computing. His thesis focused on characterization of carotid plaque, a primary cause of stroke, with diagnostic ultrasound. The principal aim of this research was to develop algorithms to quantify local deformation in the plaque from raw ultrasound image data. The code developed for this purpose made extensive use of the Insight Toolkit (ITK) and the Visualization Toolkit (VTK).
While at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Dr. McCormick was also an active member of The Hacker With, a peer-teaching organization intended to help graduate students, staff scientists, faculty, and undergraduate students get the open source, scientific computing skills they need to effectively perform research. He is currently a panelist and moderator for inSCIght, the scientific computing podcast.
Dr. McCormick joined Kitware in July 2011 and is involved in the ITKv4 development activities.
- M. McCormick et al., "ITK: enabling reproducible research and open science," Front Neuroinform, vol. 8, no. 13, Feb. 2014.
- M. M. McCormick and T. Varghese, "An Approach to Unbiased Subsample Interpolation for Motion Tracking," Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 76, Apr. 2013.
- L. Ibáñez, X. Liu, and M. McCormick, "ITK Bar Camp: Growing the ITK Community,"no. 24, Jan. 2013.
- M. McCormick, "New Infrastructure for Easy Multi-threading in ITKv4,"no. 24, Jan. 2013.
- M. McCormick et al., "Methods for robust in vivo strain estimation in the carotid artery," Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 57, no. 22, pp. 7329-7353, Oct. 2012.
- X. Liu, B. Helba, K. Krishnan, P. Reynolds, M. McCormick, W. Turner, L. Ibáñez, D. Yankelevitz, and R. Avila, "Fostering Open Science in Lung Cancer Lesion Sizing with ITK module LSTK," Insight Journal, Jul. 2012.
- M. McCormick et al., "Noninvasive Measurement of Pulsatile Carotid Plaque Deformation by Strain Tensor Ellipses: Possible Determinate of Symptomatology," Proceeding of the International Conference on Coronary Artery Disease, 2011.
- M. McCormick et al., "Bayesian Regularization Applied to Ultrasound Strain Imaging," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1612-1620, Jun. 2011.
- A. Perrot-Audet, M. McCormick, A. Gelas, N. Rannou, L. Souhait, K. Mosaliganti, and S. Megason, "A Lightweight Image Comparison Library," Kitware's The Source, no. 16, Jan. 2011.
- M. McCormick, "A Lightweight Image Comparison Library," The Source, no. 16, pp. 6-7, Jan. 2011.
- M. McCormick et al., "Absolute Backscatter Measurement of Tissue-Mimicking Phantoms in the 5-50 MHz Frequency Range," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. In Press, pp. 1612-1620, Jan. 2011.
- M. McCormick, "Higher Order Accurate Derivative and Gradient Calculation in ITK," Insight Journal, Jul. 2010.
- M. McCormick, "Visual Debugging of ITK," Kitware's The Source, no. 13, Apr. 2010.
- E. Madsen, G. Frank, M. McCormick, and M. Deaner, "Anechoic Sphere Phantoms for Estimating 3-D Resolution of Very High Frequency Ultrasound Scanners," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 2284-2292, Jan. 2010.
- M. McCormick, "An Open Source, Fast Ultrasound B-Mode Implementation for Commodity Hardware," Insight Journal, Jan. 2010.