Matthew McCormick received a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering with a focus on biomechanics from Marquette University in 2005. While at Marquette, he engaged in an internship at Boston Scientific Corporation working on peripheral vascular nitinol stents. He continued his studies in Biomedical Engineering in the doctorate program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison where his research covered not only on vascular mechanics, but also signal processing, medical imaging physics, and computing. His thesis focused on characterization of carotid plaque, a primary cause of stroke, with diagnostic ultrasound. The principal aim of this research was to develop algorithms to quantify local deformation in the plaque from raw ultrasound image data. The code developed for this purpose made extensive use of the Insight Toolkit (ITK) and the Visualization Toolkit (VTK).
While at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Dr. McCormick was also an active member of The Hacker With, a peer-teaching organization intended to help graduate students, staff scientists, faculty, and undergraduate students get the open source, scientific computing skills they need to effectively perform research. He is currently a panelist and moderator for inSCIght, the scientific computing podcast.
Dr. McCormick joined Kitware in July 2011 and is involved in the ITKv4 development activities.
- P. Hernandez-Cerdan, B. Paniagua, J. Prothero, J. Marron, E. Livingston, T. Bateman, and M. McCormick, "Methods for quantitative characterization of bone injury from computed-tomography images," in submitted to Society of Photographic Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) in Medical Imaging Conference 2019, 2019.
- J. Prothero, M. McCormick, B. Paniagua, J. Vimort, A. Ruellas, J. Marron, L. Cevidanes, and E. Benavides, "Detection of bone loss via subchondral bone analysis," in Medical Imaging 2018: Biomedical Applications in Molecular, Structural, and Functional Imaging, 2018. [URL]
- H. Greer, S. Gerber, M. Niethammer, R. Kwitt, M. McCormick, D. Chittajallu, N. Siekierski, M. Oetgen, K. Cleary, and S. Aylward, "Scoliosis screening and monitoring using self contained ultrasound and neural networks," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, 2018. [URL]
- D. Chittajallu, M. McCormick, S. Gerber, T. Czernuszewicz, R. Gessner, M. Willis, M. Niethammer, R. Kwitt, and S. Aylward, "Image-based methods for phase estimation, gating and temporal super-resolution of cardiac ultrasound," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, pp. 1-1, 2018. [URL]
- S. Gerber, M. Jallais, H. Greer, M. McCormick, S. Montgomery, B. Freeman, D. Kane, D. Chittajallu, N. Siekierski, and S. Aylward, "Automatic Estimation of the Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter from Ultrasound Images," in Imaging for Patient-Customized Simulations and Systems for Point-of-Care Ultrasound. Springer International Publishing, 2017, pp. 113-120. [URL]
- J. Vimort, M. McCormick, and B. Paniagua, "Computing Bone Morphometric Feature Maps from 3-Dimensional Images," Insight Journal, no. January-December 2017, 2017. [URL]
- J. Vimort, M. McCormick, F. Budin, and B. Paniagua, "Computing Textural Feature Maps for N-Dimensional images," Insight Journal, 2017. [URL]
- S. Aylward, M. McCormick, H. Kang, S. Razzaque, R. Kwitt, and M. Niethammer, "Ultrasound spectroscopy," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, 2016. [URL]
- D. Zukić, M. McCormick, G. Gerig, and P. Yushkevich, "RLEImage: run-length encoded memory compression scheme for an itk::Image," The Insight Journal, 2016. [URL]
- D. Zukić, J. Vicory, M. McCormick, L. Wisse, G. Gerig, P. Yushkevich, and S. Aylward, "nD morphological contour interpolation," The Insight Journal, 2016. [URL]
- X. Liu, M. Niethammer, R. Kwitt, N. Singh, M. McCormick, and S. Aylward, "Low-Rank Atlas Image Analyses in the Presence of Pathologies," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 2583-2591, Dec. 2015. [URL]
- M. McCormick, X. Liu, J. Jomier, C. Marion, and L. Ibanez, "ITK: enabling reproducible research and open science," Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, vol. 8, 2014. [URL]
- X. Liu, M. Niethammer, R. Kwitt, M. McCormick, and S. Aylward, "Low-Rank to the Rescue – Atlas-Based Analyses in the Presence of Pathologies," in Proceedings of the Internation Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, 2014. [URL]
- L. Ibanez, X. Liu, and M. McCormick, "ITK Bar Camp: Growing the ITK Community," Kitware Source, no. 24, Jan. 2013.
- M. McCormick, "New infrastructure for easy multi-threading in itkv4," Kitware Source, no. 24, Jan. 2013.
- M. McCormick and T. Varghese, "An Approach to Unbiased Subsample Interpolation for Motion Tracking," Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 76-89, Apr. 2013. [URL]
- M. McCormick, T. Varghese, X. Wang, C. Mitchell, M. Kliewer, and R. Dempsey, "Methods for robust in vivo strain estimation in the carotid artery," Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 57, no. 22, pp. 7329-7353, Nov. 2012. [URL]
- X. Liu, B. Helba, K. Krishnan, P. Reynolds, M. McCormick, W. Turner, L. Ibanez, D. Yankelevitz, and R. Avila, "Fostering open science in lung cancer lesion sizing with ITK module LSTK," The Insight Journal, 2012. [URL]
- M. McCormick, N. Rubert, and T. Varghese, "Bayesian Regularization Applied to Ultrasound Strain Imaging," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1612-1620, Jun. 2011. [URL]
- M. McCormick, "A lightweight image comparison library," Kitware Source, no. 16, Jan. 2011.
- E. Madsen, G. Frank, M. McCormick, M. Deaner, and T. Stiles, "Anechoic sphere phantoms for estimating 3-D resolution of very-high-frequency ultrasound scanners," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 2284-2292, Oct. 2010. [URL]