Arslan Basharat completed B.S. in Computer System Engineering from GIK Institute (GIKI), Pakistan in 2001. He worked as a Software Design Engineer for a local system design firm in Pakistan from 2001 to 2003. He received M.S. in 2006 and Ph.D. in Computer Science in 2009 from University of Central Florida (UCF). Arslan has been involved in various research and development projects at the Computer Vision Lab at UCF under the supervision of Dr. Mubarak Shah. Details of these projects and related publications are available here.
His research interests lie in the areas of computer vision, machine learning, video processing, scene modeling, and activity analysis.
Arslan joined the Computer Vision Group at Kitware as an R&D Engineer in January 2009. At Kitware, he has been contributing to various research and development projects with emphasis on object detection and tracking in aerial videos.
- C. Long, E. Smith, A. Basharat, and A. Hoogs, "A C3D-based convolutional neural network for frame dropping detection in a single video shot," presented at the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshop on Media Forensics (CVPRW), Honolulu, HI, USA, 2017.
- J. Moeller, E. Smith, A. Basharat, M. Turek, A. Hoogs, and E. Blasch, "Automatic pattern of life learning in satellite images through graph kernels (grapl)," in National Symposium on Sensor and Data Fusion (NSSDF), 2017.
- M. Dawkins, A. Basharat, J. Becker, M. Turek, and A. Hoogs, "Deep architecture for small mover detection in overhead infrared imagery," in National Symposium on Sensor and Data Fusion (NSSDF), 2016.
- M. Turek et al., "Real-time, full-frame wide area motion imagery analytics," in Military Sensing Symposia - Passive Sensors, 2015.
- A. Hoogs et al., "An end-to-end system for content-based video retrieval using behavior, actions, and appearance with interactive query refinement," in IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS), Karlsruhe, Germany, 2015.
- K. Fieldhouse et al., "KWIVER: An open source cross-platform video exploitation framework," in Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop (AIPR), Washington, DC, USA, 2014.
- E. Swears, A. Basharat, A. Hoogs, and E. Blasch, "Probabilistic sub-graph matching (pgram) for video and text fusion," in National Symposium on Sensor and Data Fusion (NSSDF), 2014.
- Y. Xu, A. Basharat, J. Becker, and A. Hoogs, "Complex algorithm optimization through probabilistic search of its configuration tree," in IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS), Seoul, South Korea, 2014.
- M. Dawkins, Z. Sun, A. Basharat, A. Perera, and A. Hoogs, "Tracking nautical objects in real-time via layered saliency detection," presented at the SPIE Defense + Security, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 2014.
- A. Basharat et al., "Real-time multi-target tracking at 210 megapixels/second in Wide Area Motion Imagery," in IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV), Steamboat Springs, CO, USA, 2014.
- A. Basharat et al., "Tracking flow of leukocytes in blood for drug analysis," in SPIE Real-Time Image and Video Processing, San Francisco Airport, California, USA, 2011.
- N. Cuntoor, A. Basharat, A. Perera, and A. Hoogs, "Track Initialization in Low Frame Rate and Low Resolution Videos," in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Istanbul, Turkey, 2010.
- A. Basharat and M. Shah, "Time series prediction by chaotic modeling of nonlinear dynamical systems," in International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), Kyoto, 2009.
- A. Gritai, A. Basharat, and M. Shah, "Geometric constraints on 2D action models for tracking human body," in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Tampa, FL, USA, 2008.
- A. Basharat, A. Gritai, and M. Shah, "Learning object motion patterns for anomaly detection and improved object detection," in IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Anchorage, AK, USA, 2008.
- A. Basharat, Y. Zhai, and M. Shah, "Content based video matching using spatiotemporal volumes," Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 360-377, Jun. 2008.
- A. Miller, A. Basharat, B. White, J. Liu, and M. Shah, "Person and Vehicle Tracking in Surveillance Video," in Multimodal Technologies for Perception of Humans. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2008, pp. 174-178.
- S. Ali, A. Basharat, and M. Shah, "Chaotic Invariants for human action recognition," in International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2007.
- M. Shah, A. Hakeem, and A. Basharat, "Detection and tracking of objects from multiple airborne cameras," SPIE Newsroom, 2006.
- J. Liu et al., "University of Central Florida at TRECVID 2006 High-Level Feature Extraction and Video Search," presented at the TREC Video Retrieval Evaluation Forum (TRECVID), 2006.
- A. Basharat, N. Catbas, and Mubarak Shah, "A framework for intelligent sensor network with video camera for structural health monitoring of bridges," in International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops, Kauai Island, HI, USA, 2005.
- Y. Zhai et al., "Video Understanding and Content-Based Retrieval," presented at the TREC Video Retrieval Evaluation Forum (TRECVID), 2005.
- A. Basharat, A. Hakeem, M. Shah, and A. Mahalanobis, "Automatic Target Detection and Recognition in Video Sensor Network with Stationary and Mobile Nodes," OE Magazine, 2005.
- F. Catbas, M. Shah, J. Burkett, and A. Basharat, "Challenges in structural health monitoring," presented at the International Workshop on Structural Control, 2004.