Chief Technical Officer
Mr. Hoffman is a founder of Kitware and currently serves as Chairman of the Board, Vice President, and Chief Technical Officer (CTO). He is the original author and lead architect of CMake, an open-source, cross-platform build and configuration tool that is used by hundreds of projects around the world, and he is the co-author of the accompanying text, Mastering CMake. Using his 20+ years of experience with large software systems development, Mr. Hoffman is also a major technical contributor to Kitware’s Visualization Toolkit, Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit, and ParaView projects.
As CTO, Mr. Hoffman’s emphasis is on software development methodologies and establishing best practices across the breadth of Kitware’s development efforts. As one of the visionaries leading the quality software process efforts at Kitware, Bill has been instrumental in adopting agile programming practices, fueling Kitware’s software development. He is a frequent speaker on these subjects and has appeared at the O’Reilly Open Source Conference and as an invited speaker at the Google tech talk series.
Mr. Hoffman received a B.S. in Computer Science from the University of Central Florida and an M.S. in Computer Science from Rensselear Polytechnic Institute (RPI). Prior to the formation of Kitware, he spent nine years at the General Electric Corporate Research and Development center, working in the Computer Vision Group. He has planned and taught several graduate-level courses at RPI as well as a course in object-oriented programming at New York University.
- Sustainable software ecosystems for open science," arXiv.org, Sep. 2013. , "
- Issue radar using git/master/mantis," Kitware Source, Jan. 2011. , "
- The Architecture of Open Source," pp. 67--77, May 2011. , "
- Distributed version control: the future of history," Kitware Source, pp. 2--6, Oct. 2010. , "
- Kitware quality software process," Kitware Source, no. 7, pp. 8--11, Oct. 2008. , "
- An Open Source Approach to Developing Software in a Small Organization," vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 46--53, Jan. 2007. , "
- Mastering CMake: A Cross-Platform Build System, second edition," Jan. 2004. , "
- The CMake Build Manager," vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 40--47, Jan. 2003. , "
- Mastering CMake: A Cross-Platform Build System," Jan. 2003. , "
- Creating Libraries For Multiple Programming Languages," vol. 27, pp. 54, 56--59, Feb. 2002. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit User's Guide," Jan. 2001. , "
- Visualizing with VTK: A Tutorial," Sep. 2000. , "
- Pseudo-Incremental Linking for C/C++," Oct. 1999. , "
- Representing Objects using Topology," Jan. 1996. , "
- Driving Vision by Topology," pp. 395--400, Jan. 1995. , "
- MORSE: A 3D object recognition system based on geometric invariants," pp. 1393--1402, Jan. 1994. , "