Meet the Team
Director of Data and Analytics
Kitware New York
Clifton Park, NY
Dr. Baumes is the Director of Data and Analytics at Kitware, Inc. His primary responsibility is to create tools that effectively visualize large and complex data of Kitware’s collaborators – spanning relational, geospatial, temporal, bioinformatics, financial, and textual data and metadata. He has provided architectural oversight and development support for open source toolkits that enable analysis and visualization of data, including information visualization capabilities in VTK, large-scale text analysis with Titan (co-developed with Sandia National Labs), and most recently Resonant, a leading-edge data visualization and analytics platform. Recent projects under his direction include a DARPA XDATA big-data visualization award; visualization of large financial data for a Fortune 50 bank; advanced visualization for cyber security integrated with Splunk; and NSF ARBOR phylogenetic tree analysis and visualization. His research interests include data visualization, graph manipulation and layout, and bioinformatics, where he remains active by presenting papers, tutorials, and participating in conference leadership. Some of his public visualization efforts include showing hospital cost versus quality, communicating where tax dollars are spent (finalist in the data viz challenge), and visualizing Common Core math standards dependencies.
- Z. Sun, J. Baumes, P. Tunison, M. Turek, and A. Hoogs, "Tattoo detection and localization using region-based deep learning," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2016. [URL]
- S. Oh, M. Pandey, I. Kim, A. Hoogs, and J. Baumes, "Personalized Economy of Images in Social Forums: An Analysis on Supply, Consumption, and Saliency," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2014. Winner, Best Industry-Related Paper Award. [URL]
- M. Hanwell, A. Chaudhary, J. Baumes, and B. Geveci, "VTK's second Google Summer of Code," Kitware Source, no. 31, 2014.
- B. Wylie, D. Dunlavy, W. Davis, and J. Baumes, "Using NoSQL databases for streaming network analysis," in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Large Data Analysis and Visualization, 2012. [URL]
- J. Shepherd, J. Baumes, and A. Chaudhary, "Geospatial and entity driven document visualization for non-proliferation analysis," in Geospatial and Entity Driven Document Visualization for Non-proliferation Analysis, 2011.
- A. Chaudhary and J. Baumes, "Is what you see what you get? Geospatial visualizations address scale and usability (Industry Trends)," GEO World, vol. 24, no. 5, May 2011.
- B. Wylie and J. Baumes, "A unified toolkit for information and scientific visualization," in IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging, 2009. [URL]
- B. Wylie, J. Baumes, and T. Shead, "G-Space: a linear time graph layout," in IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging, 2008. [URL]
- A. Cedilnik, J. Baumes, L. Ibanez, S. Megason, and B. Wylie, "Integration of information and volume visualization for analysis of cell lineage and gene expression during embryogenesis," in IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging, 2008. [URL]
- J. Baumes, H. Chen, M. Francisco, M. Goldberg, M. Magdon-Ismail, and W. Wallace, "ViSAGE: A Virtual laboratory for Simulation and Analysis of Social Group Evolution," ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1-35, Aug. 2008. [URL]
- P. Crossno, B. Wylie, A. Wilson, J. Greenfield, E. Stanton, T. Shead, L. Ice, K. Moreland, J. Baumes, and B. Geveci, "Intelligence Analysis Using Titan," in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Visual Analytics Science and Technology, 2007. [URL]
- J. Baumes, M. Goldberg, M. Magdon-Ismail, and W. Wallace, "Identification of hidden groups in communications," in Handbooks in Information Systems, Volume 2: National Security. Elsevier, 2007, pp. 209-242.
- J. Baumes, "Algorithms for discovering hidden groups in communications," Ph.D. dissertation, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2006.
- J. Baumes, M. Goldberg, and M. Magdon-Ismail, "Efficient Identification of Overlapping Communities," in Intelligence and Security Informatics. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2005, pp. 27-36. [URL]
- J. Baumes, M. Goldberg, M. Magdon-Ismail, and W. Wallace, "Discovering Hidden Groups in Communication Networks," in Intelligence and Security Informatics. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2004, pp. 378-389. [URL]