Staff R&D Engineer
Dr. Clipp earned an M.S. and a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from the joint program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. She also earned a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Clemson University.
Dr. Clipp has worked on a wide range of modeling and simulation projects. These projects include modeling microvasculature of the liver for prediction of microsphere delivery to tumors, modeling cerebral microvasculature to represent the effects of traumatic brain injury, and whole-body physiology modeling in the form of lumped parameters models. Dr. Clipp has also worked to develop dynamic boundary conditions for use in finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics. These boundary conditions were used to predict the effects of respiration on pulmonary vasculature.
In addition, Dr. Clipp created a bench-top apparatus to perfuse and ventilate excised lamb lungs to collect hemodynamic and respiratory data for validation of the dynamic boundary conditions. She also served as the lead physiology modeler on the BioGears project (funded by the Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center). For the project, she led development of physiology models to represent different organ systems and feedback mechanisms in the human body.
Since she joined Kitware in March 2017, Dr. Clipp has continued to work on physiology modeling for the BioGears project and on fluid modeling for surgical simulations.
- Towards a test and validation framework for closed-loop physiology management systems for critical and perioperative," in Medical cyber physical systems workshop, 2018. , "
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in biogears," in Engineering in medicine and biology society (embc), 2016 ieee 38th annual international conference of the, 2016, p. 1467–1470. , "
- Integration of a baroreflex model into a whole body physiology engine," in Summer biomechanics, bioengineering, and biotransport conference, 2016. , "
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in biogears," in Medicine meets virtual reality conference, 2016. , "
- Multiscale simulation of insults and interventions: the biogears showcase scenarios," in Medicine meets virtual reality conference, 2016. , "
- A framework for multiscale physiology: towards individualized computer simulation," in Virtual physiological human conference, 2016. , "
- Modeling renal behavior and control in biogears," in Medicine meets virtual reality conference, 2016. , "
- Dynamic response to heat gain and heat loss in the biogears engine," in Medicine meets virtual reality conference, 2016. , "
- Integration of a spontaneous respiratory driver with blood gas feedback into biogears, an open-source, whole-body physiology model," in Summer biomechanics, bioengineering, and biotransport conference, 2015. , "
- First-in-human fractal methodology for modeling the hepatic arterial tree and tumor microvasculature for 90y-microsphere brachytherapy.," 2014. , "
- Humansim: a physiology engine for the simulation of anesthesia/anaphylaxis training.," in Military health research symposium 2012, 2012. , "
- An evaluation of dynamic outlet boundary conditions in a 1d fluid dynamics model.," Mathematical biosciences and engineering: mbe, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 61–74, 2012. , "
- Computational models of the pulmonary vasculature including the dynamic effects of respiration, , Ed., North carolina state university, 2010. ,
- Comparison of three types of dynamic boundary conditions," in Asme 2009 summer bioengineering conference, 2009, p. 955–956. , "
- Impedance boundary conditions for the pulmonary vasculature including the effects of geometry, compliance, and respiration," Ieee transactions on biomedical engineering, vol. 56, no. 3, p. 862–870, 2009. , "
- A dynamic boundary condition for the pulmonary vasculature," in Asme 2008 summer bioengineering conference, 2008, p. 355–356. , "
- Boundary conditons for the pulmonary vasculature," in Proceedings of the ibe 2008 annual conference, 2008. , "
- Toward determining a dynamic impedance boundary condition," in Asme 2007 summer bioengineering conference, 2007, p. 387–388. , "
- Dynamic cardio-pulmonary impedance boundary conditions," in Bmes 2007 fall conference, 2007. , "
- Determination of impedance boundary conditions for the pulmonary vasculature, , Ed., North carolina state university, 2007. ,