Jeff Webb is a technical leader on Kitware’s Computer Vision Team located in Carrboro, North Carolina. Jeff also splits his time on medical computing initiatives. He has experience in a wide range of research and development, modeling and simulation, product development, data analysis, and program management tasks. He is a certified scrum master and has performed extensive systems integration tasks with software, hardware, and sensor interfaces.
Jeff has gained valuable experience overseeing agile software development programs for both small, commercial collaborations and large, multi-million-dollar, U.S. Department of Defense contracts. He is the principal investigator for the U.S. Army’s PitViper program, where he has developed projectile tracking algorithms, integrated hardware and software subsystems, rendered 3D trajectory results, implemented statistical analysis of system performance, and performed extensive lab and live-fire field testing.
Jeff is also leading several Pulse Physiology Engine modeling, simulation, and integration commercial projects.
Prior to joining Kitware, Jeff was the principal investigator and lead systems integrator for the U.S. Army’s BioGears® project, ensuring successful integration of physiology modeling methodology into an advanced software design.
Jeff was also the lead engineer and PM for the FightSight counter-sniper and counter rocket, artillery, and mortar infrared camera system that was funded internally and by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the U.S. Army.
Jeff received his master’s degree in mechanical engineering from the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). While earning his degree, Jeff focused on robotics and electromechanical systems. His sensor interface experience led to several Command, Control, Computers, Communications, Cyber, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C5ISR) projects. Jeff also received his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from RIT.
Professional Associations & Service
American Physiological Society
Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- J. Webb, A. Bray, P. Asare, R. Clipp, Y. Mehta, S. Penupolu, and A. Patel, "Computational simulation to assess patient safety of uncompensated COVID-19 two-patient ventilator sharing using the Pulse Physiology Engine," PLoS ONE, Nov. 2020. [URL]
- J. Webb, A. Bray, and R. Clipp, "Parameterization of Respiratory Physiology and Pathophysiology for Real-Time Simulation," in 42nd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC'20), 2020.
- R. Clipp, A. Bray, and J. Webb, "An Integrated Model for Hemorrhagic Shock and Fluid Resuscitation," in Military Health System Research Symposium (MHSRS), 2020.
- A. Bray, J. Webb, A. Enquobahrie, J. Vicory, J. Heneghan, R. Hubal, S. TerMaath, P. Asare, and R. Clipp, "Pulse Physiology Engine: an Open-Source Software Platform for Computational Modeling of Human Medical Simulation," SN Comprehensive Clinical Medicine, Mar. 2019. [URL]
- L. Potter, S. Arikatla, A. Bray, J. Webb, and A. Enquobahrie, "Physiology informed virtual surgical planning: a case study with a virtual airway surgical planner and BioGears," in SPIE Medical Imaging, 2017. [URL]
- R. Clipp, A. Bray, R. Metoyer, M. Thames, and J. Webb, "Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in BioGears," in Proceedings of the International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2016. [URL]
- M. Thames, J. Webb, R. Clipp, J. Carter, Z. Swarm, R. Metoyer, A. Bray, and D. Byrd, "Dynamic response to heat gain and heat loss in the biogears engine," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- Z. Swarm, J. Webb, R. Clipp, J. Carter, M. Thames, and R. Metoyer, "Modeling renal behavior and control in biogears," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- R. Metoyer, B. Bergeron, R. Clipp, J. Webb, M. Thames, Z. Swarm, J. Carter, Y. Gebremichael, and J. Heneghan, "Multiscale Simulation of Insults and Interventions: The BioGears Showcase Scenarios," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- R. Clipp, A. Bray, R. Metoyer, M. Thames, and J. Webb, "Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in biogears," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- R. Clipp, M. Thames, J. Webb, R. Metoyer, Z. Swarm, and J. Carter, "Integration of a baroreflex model into a whole body physiology engine," in Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference, 2016.
- R. Metoyer, J. Carter, B. Bergeron, A. Baird, A. Bray, R. Clipp, M. Thames, and J. Webb, "A framework for multiscale physiology: towards individualized computer simulation," in Virtual Physiological Human Conference, 2016.
- Y. Gebremichael, R. Clipp, J. Webb, A. Bray, M. Thames, Z. Swarm, J. Carter, and J. Heneghan, "Integration of a spontaneous respiratory driver with blood gas feedback into biogears, an open-source, whole-body physiology model," in Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference, 2015.
- S. Snarski, J. Webb, C. Volpe, A. Menozzi, T. Sherrill, D. Hope, H. Towles, B. Young, C. Stutts, R. Steffes, J. Rittenhour, B. Fisk, R. Clipp, M. Bennett, B. Church, M. TerMaath, B. Kaminski, M. Forgione, J. Beighley, B. Judge, J. Mauger, A. Adams, and M. Larson, "Passive infrared projectile tracking and geolocation of low quadrant elevation (low qe) rockets and mortars: system development and test results," in Military Sensing Symposia Passive Sensors Conference, 2014.
- D. Roberts, A. Menozzi, J. Cook, T. Sherrill, S. Snarski, P. Russler, B. Clipp, R. Karl, E. Wenger, M. Bennett, J. Mauger, W. Church, H. Towles, S. MacCabe, J. Webb, J. Lupo, J. Frahm, E. Dunn, C. Leslie, and G. Welch, "Testing and evaluation of a wearable augmented reality system for natural outdoor environments," in SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing, 2013. [URL]
- W. Walter, J. Webb, M. Smith, E. DeBartolo, M. Bailey, and G. Slack, "Redesigning A College Wide Multidisciplinary Engineering Design Program At Rit," in ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, 2007.
- J. Webb and W. Walter, "Exploration of a Hybrid Locomotion Robot," in ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2007.