Staff R&D Engineer
Jeff Webb is an R&D engineer in the North Carolina office. Since joining Kitware in March 2017, he has split his time on medical computing and computer vision initiatives. He has over a decade of experience in a wide range of research and development, modeling and simulation, product development, data analysis, and program management tasks. He has performed extensive systems integration tasks with software, hardware, and sensor interfaces for several different programs funded by the Department of Defense. Mr. Webb has gained invaluable experience managing agile software development programs in an office environment, as well as performing lab and field tests at a number of different locations and facilities. His publications have led to over 10 conference presentations and webinars.
Mr. Webb was previously the principal investigator and lead systems integrator for the U.S. Army’s BioGears® project. He ensured successful integration of physiology modeling methodology into an advanced software design. This work included the coordination of several engineers and software developers to deliver a fully functional whole-body lumped-parameter-based engine with a common data model and anatomical database.
While working toward his M.S. in mechanical engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology, Mr. Webb focused on robotics and electromechanical systems. His sensor interface experience led to several Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) projects. He was the project manager for a product development program to interface numerous sensors for a counter sniper, rocket, artillery, and mortar force protection system. For his tasks, Mr. Webb developed projectile tracking algorithms, integrated hardware and software sub-systems, rendered three-dimensional trajectory results, implemented statistical analysis of system performance, and performed extensive lab and field testing.
Mr. Webb also notably worked on the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Urban Leader Tactical Response, Awareness, and Visualization (ULTRA-Vis) program to interface a sensors suite with an augmented reality display for visualization of geo-located objects and people. In addition, he assisted in the creation of blast mitigation analysis software for various modeling and simulation projects.
- L. Potter, S. Arikatla, A. Bray, J. Webb, and A. Enquobahrie, "Physiology informed virtual surgical planning: a case study with a virtual airway surgical planner and BioGears," in SPIE Medical Imaging, 2017. [URL]
- R. Clipp, A. Bray, R. Metoyer, M. Thames, and J. Webb, "Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in BioGears," in Proceedings of the International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2016. [URL]
- M. Thames, J. Webb, R. Clipp, J. Carter, Z. Swarm, R. Metoyer, A. Bray, and D. Byrd, "Dynamic response to heat gain and heat loss in the biogears engine," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- Z. Swarm, J. Webb, R. Clipp, J. Carter, M. Thames, and R. Metoyer, "Modeling renal behavior and control in biogears," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- R. Metoyer, B. Bergeron, R. Clipp, J. Webb, M. Thames, Z. Swarm, J. Carter, Y. Gebremichael, and J. Heneghan, "Multiscale Simulation of Insults and Interventions: The BioGears Showcase Scenarios," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- R. Clipp, A. Bray, R. Metoyer, M. Thames, and J. Webb, "Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in biogears," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2016.
- R. Clipp, M. Thames, J. Webb, R. Metoyer, Z. Swarm, and J. Carter, "Integration of a baroreflex model into a whole body physiology engine," in Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference, 2016.
- R. Metoyer, J. Carter, B. Bergeron, A. Baird, A. Bray, R. Clipp, M. Thames, and J. Webb, "A framework for multiscale physiology: towards individualized computer simulation," in Virtual Physiological Human Conference, 2016.
- Y. Gebremichael, R. Clipp, J. Webb, A. Bray, M. Thames, Z. Swarm, J. Carter, and J. Heneghan, "Integration of a spontaneous respiratory driver with blood gas feedback into biogears, an open-source, whole-body physiology model," in Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, and Biotransport Conference, 2015.
- S. Snarski, J. Webb, C. Volpe, A. Menozzi, T. Sherrill, D. Hope, H. Towles, B. Young, C. Stutts, R. Steffes, J. Rittenhour, B. Fisk, R. Clipp, M. Bennett, B. Church, M. TerMaath, B. Kaminski, M. Forgione, J. Beighley, B. Judge, J. Mauger, A. Adams, and M. Larson, "Passive infrared projectile tracking and geolocation of low quadrant elevation (low qe) rockets and mortars: system development and test results," in Military Sensing Symposia Passive Sensors Conference, 2014.
- D. Roberts, A. Menozzi, J. Cook, T. Sherrill, S. Snarski, P. Russler, B. Clipp, R. Karl, E. Wenger, M. Bennett, J. Mauger, W. Church, H. Towles, S. MacCabe, J. Webb, J. Lupo, J. Frahm, E. Dunn, C. Leslie, and G. Welch, "Testing and evaluation of a wearable augmented reality system for natural outdoor environments," in SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing, 2013. [URL]
- W. Walter, J. Webb, M. Smith, E. DeBartolo, M. Bailey, and G. Slack, "Redesigning A College Wide Multidisciplinary Engineering Design Program At Rit," in ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, 2007.
- J. Webb and W. Walter, "Exploration of a Hybrid Locomotion Robot," in ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2007.