Chief Executive Officer
Dr. Lisa Sobierajski Avila is Kitware’s Chief Executive Officer. Prior to serving as CEO, Dr. Avila was Vice President of Commercial Operations and a lead technical developer at Kitware. Dr. Avila oversaw Kitware’s commercial offerings including support and consulting contracts, training courses, and books. She was also responsible for Kitware’s corporate communications and public relations efforts, and she coordinated the content for the corporate web site as well as the various community sites supporting open source projects such as the Visualization Toolkit (VTK), the Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit (ITK), CMake and ParaView.
As a technical developer, Dr. Avila is the main architect of VTK’s volume visualization functionality, with more than fifteen years of contributions to the toolkit. She has contributed to volume rendering efforts in many scientific and medical fields ranging from seismic data exploration to radiation treatment planning. Dr. Avila is on the Program Committee for Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) VisWeek and International Symposium on Computer Vision (ISCV), and she has served on the editorial board for the IEEE publication Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics and on the Visualization & Graphics Technical Committee (VGTC) Executive Committee.
Dr. Avila received her B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in Computer Science from the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1989, 1990, and 1994, respectively. Her focus was on global illumination models for volume rendering. Prior to joining Kitware, Dr. Avila completed a post-doctoral position at Stony Brook and then joined the General Electric (GE) Corporate Research and Development center in 1994. At GE, she continued her work in the area of volume rendering, applying these methods to both medical and industrial data. Dr. Avila began working in the area of haptics, and she developed algorithms for visualizing, modifying and feeling volumetric data. Working with GE Aircraft Engines, she led the development of a state-of-the-art application for exploration and analysis of large geometric databases.
- The visualization toolkit (vtk): rewriting the rendering code for modern graphics cards," SoftwareX, May 2015. , "
- Volume Rendering Improvements in VTK," Oct. 2014. , "
- Integrating segmentation methods from the Insight Toolkit into a visualization application," vol. 9, no. 6, p. 579–593, Dec. 2005. , "
- Integrating segmentation methods from the Insight Toolkit into a visualization application," vol. 9, no. 6, Oct. 2005. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit User's Guide," Jan. 2001. , "
- The Transfer Function Bake-Off," vol. 21, no. 3, p. 16–22, Jun. 2001. , "
- Visualizing with VTK: A Tutorial," Sep. 2000. , "
- The Visualization Toolkit, 2nd Edition," Jan. 1998. , "
- Application of Path Planning and Visualization for Industrial Design and Maintainability Analysis," Jan. 1998. , "
- Interactive Visualization of Aircraft and Power Generation Engines," p. 483–486, Oct. 1997. , "
- Haptic Interaction Utilizing a Volumetric Representation," Sep. 1996. , "
- A Haptic Interaction Method for Volume Visualization," p. 197–204, Oct. 1996. , "
- Visualization of Calcium Activity in Nerve Cells," vol. 15, no. 4, p. 55–61, Jan. 1995. , "
- A Hardware Acceleration Method for Volumetric Ray Tracing," p. 55–61, Jan. 1995. , "
- Continuum Volume Display," p. 171–202, Jan. 1994. , "
- Global Illumination Models For Volume Rendering," Aug. 1994. , "
- Volumetric Ray Tracing," p. 11–18, Oct. 1994. , "
- Visualizing Nerve Cells," Sep. 1994. , "
- VolVis: A Diversified System for Volume Visualization," p. 31–38, Oct. 1994. , "
- Navigation and Animation in a Volume Visualization System," p. 64–74, Jan. 1993. , "
- The Living and the Dead: Interactive Visualization of Nerve Cells," Nov. 1993. , "
- A Fast Display Method for Volumetric Data," vol. 10, no. 2, p. 116–124, Jan. 1993. , "
- Towards a Comprehensive Volume Visualization System," p. 13–20, Oct. 1992. , "