Dr. Leotta is a Technical Leader at Kitware leading projects primarily in the area of 3D reconstruction from imagery and video. Since joining Kitware in 2009, Dr. Leotta has managed research projects in 3D reconstruction including projects funded by DARPA, IARPA, AFRL, Army NVESD, SOCOM, NRO, NGA and commercial customers. He was recently PI of Kitware’s IARPA CORE3D team and led three universities and two companies in the collaborative development of Danesfield, an open source framework for 3D semantic reconstruction of buildings from satellite imagery. He also served as PI on an SBIR with the Air Force to develop better camera calibration through bundle adjustment of aerial video. This work and several follow-on efforts have produced TeleSculptor, an open source desktop application for 3D reconstruction from aerial video. Dr. Leotta also led a commercial effort to develop algorithms for visual navigation of an endoscope for medical applications resulting in US Patent 10169875. In addition to 3D reconstruction, Dr. Leotta has contributed to research projects in super resolution, object detection, and tracking.
Dr. Leotta graduated summa cum laude from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2003 with a dual bachelor’s of science in Computer Science and Computer Systems Engineering. He received both his MS in Applied Mathematics in 2007 and his PhD in Engineering in 2010 from Brown University. His PhD work at Brown was supervised by Dr. Joseph Mundy and focused on tracking vehicles in traffic video while simultaneously reconstructing 3D models of the vehicles by fitting a generic deformable model.
Dr. Leotta has published several papers in peer-reviewed international conferences and journals. He is a strong proponent of open source computer vision software. He has helped lead the development of the Kitware Image and Video Exploitation and Retrieval (KWIVER) toolkit. Dr. Leotta also organized and presented related tutorials at CVPR 2012 and CVPR 2015 on open source computer vision using Python and open source structure-from-motion. He regularly serves on program committees for primary computer vision and robotics conferences (CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, BMVC, WACV, ICRA, IROS).
- M. Leotta, J. Shan, X. Zhang, C. Long, B. Xu, M. Purri, M. Zins, B. Jacquet, K. Dana, S. Seida, M. Berlin, Z. Li, J. Xue, and D. Lipsa, "Danesfield: Integrating Deep Learning and Classical Methods for Multiview Semantic 3D Modeling," in Proceedings of the MSS National Symposium on Sensor and Data Fusion, 2019.
- M. Leotta, C. Long, B. Jacquet, M. Zins, D. Lipsa, J. Shan, B. Xu, Z. Li, X. Zhang, S. Chang, M. Purri, J. Xue, and K. Dana, "Urban Semantic 3D Reconstruction From Multiview Satellite Imagery," in The IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshops: EarthVision, 2019. Winner, Best Paper Award. [URL]
- M. Leotta, E. Smith, and D. Russell, "TeleSculptor: Dense 3D Models from Uncalibrated FMV," in Proceedings of the MSS National Symposium on Passive Sensors, 2018.
- M. Leotta, E. Smith, M. Dawkins, and P. Tunison, "Open source structure-from-motion for aerial video," in Proceedings of the IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision, 2016. [URL]
- M. Leotta, P. Tunison, E. Smith, and M. Dawkins, "MAP-Tk: Motion imagery Aerial Photogrammetry Toolkit," in Proceedings of the MSS National Symposium on Passive Sensors, 2015.
- K. Fieldhouse, M. Leotta, A. Basharat, R. Blue, D. Stoup, C. Atkins, L. Sherrill, B. Boeckel, P. Tunison, J. Becker, M. Dawkins, M. Woehlke, R. Collins, M. Turek, and A. Hoogs, "KWIVER: An open source cross-platform video exploitation framework," in Proceedings of the IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 2014. [URL]
- Z. Sun, M. Leotta, A. Hoogs, R. Blue, R. Neuroth, J. Vasquez, A. Perera, M. Turek, and E. Blasch, "Vehicle change detection from aerial imagery using detection response maps," in SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing Motion Imagery for ISR and Situational Awareness, 2014. [URL]
- M. Leotta and J. Mundy, "Vehicle surveillance with a generic, adaptive, 3D vehicle model," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1457-1469, Jul. 2011. [URL]
- A. Perera, S. Oh, M. Leotta, I. Kim, B. Byun, C. Lee, Scott, McCloskey, J. Liu, B. Miller, Z. Huang, A. Vahdat, W. Yang, G. Mori, K. Tang, D. Koller, L. Fei-Fei, K. Li, G. Chen, J. Corso, Y. Fu, and R. Srihari, "GENIE TRECVID 2011 Multimedia Event Detection : Late-Fusion Approaches to Combine Multiple Audio-Visual features," in NIST TRECVID Workshop, 2011.
- M. Leotta, "Generic, deformable models for 3-d vehicle surveillance," Brown University, 2010.
- M. Leotta and J. Mundy, "Predicting high resolution image edges with a generic, adaptive, 3-D vehicle model," in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, 2009. [URL]
- C. Tsai, B. Madore, M. Leotta, M. Sofka, G. Yang, A. Majerovics, H. Tanenbaum, C. Stewart, and B. Roysam, "Automated retinal image analysis over the internet," IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 480-487, Jul. 2008. [URL]
- M. Leotta, A. Vandergon, and G. Taubin, "3D slit scanning with planar constraints," Computer Graphics Forum, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 2066-2080, Dec. 2008. [URL]
- M. Leotta, A. Vandergon, and G. Taubin, "Interactive 3D ScanningWithout Tracking," in Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing, 2007. [URL]
- M. Leotta and J. Mundy, "Epipolar curve tracking in 3-D," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2007. [URL]
- M. Leotta and J. Mundy, "Learning background and shadow appearance with 3-D vehicle models," in Proceedings of the British Machine Vision Conference, 2006. [URL]
- Dongjin Han, M. Leotta, D. Cooper, and J. Mundy, "Vehicle class recognition from video-based on 3D curve probes," in IEEE International Workshop on Visual Surveillance and Performance Evaluation of Tracking and Surveillance, 2005. [URL]