Assistant Director of Scientific Computing
Dr. O’Leary completed a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics at the University of Wyoming under the direction of Dr. Myron B. Allen III in 1999. His dissertation involved stochastic modeling of groundwater contaminant transport entitled “Mathematical Modeling of Variably Absorbing Contaminants in Porous Media.” He then served in a postdoctoral position at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, under the supervision of Dr. Richard E. Ewing.
Dr. O’Leary has held faculty, research and leadership positions at a number of universities (Wyoming, Texas A&M, Minnesota, Alaska Anchorage and Northern Arizona University, University of Alberta), laboratories (Los Alamos National, NOAA FSL, Idaho National) and institutions (Wyoming Institute for Scientific Computation, Texas A&M Institute for Scientific Computation, Desert Research Institute and WestGrid/Compute Canada).
Currently, Dr. O’Leary is the Assistant Director of Scientific Computing for Kitware, Inc. and leads the office in Santa Fe, NM. His research interests include high performance computing (HPC), numerical analysis, finite elements and visualization.
- N. Malitsky, A. Chaudhary, S. Jourdain, M. Cowan, P. O’Leary, M. Hanwell, and K. Van Dam, "Building near-real-time processing pipelines with the spark-MPI platform," in 2017 New York Scientific Data Summit (NYSDS), 2017. [URL]
- P. O'Leary, S. Jhaveri, A. Chaudhary, W. Sherman, K. Martin, A. Vacanti, E. Whiting, J. Money, and S. McKenzie, "Enhancements to VTK enabling scientific visualization in immersive environments," in Proceedings of the IEEE Virtual Reality Conference, 2017. [URL]
- D. Thompson, S. Jourdain, A. Bauer, B. Geveci, R. Maynard, R. Vatsavai, and P. O'Leary, "In Situ Summarization with VTK-m," in Proceedings of the Workshop on In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-Scale Analysis and Visualization, 2017. [URL]
- U. Ayachit, A. Bauer, E. Duque, G. Eisenhauer, N. Ferrier, J. Gu, K. Jansen, B. Loring, Z. Lukic, S. Menon, D. Morozov, P. O'Leary, R. Ranjan, M. Rasquin, C. Stone, V. Vishwanath, G. Weber, B. Whitlock, M. Wolf, K. Wu, and E. Bethel, "Performance Analysis, Design Considerations, and Applications of Extreme-Scale In Situ Infrastructures," in International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, 2016. [URL]
- C. Harris, P. O'Leary, M. Grauer, A. Chaudhary, C. Kotfila, and R. O'Bara, "Dynamic Provisioning and Execution of HPC Workflows Using Python," in Workshop on Python for High-Performance and Scientific Computing, 2016. [URL]
- A. Bauer, H. Abbasi, J. Ahrens, H. Childs, B. Geveci, S. Klasky, K. Moreland, P. O'Leary, V. Vishwanath, B. Whitlock, and E. Bethel, "In Situ Methods, Infrastructures, and Applications on High Performance Computing Platforms," Computer Graphics Forum, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 577-597, Jun. 2016. [URL]
- P. O'Leary, M. Christon, S. Jourdain, C. Harris, M. Berndt, and A. Bauer, "HPCCloud: A Cloud/Web-Based Simulation Environment," in IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, 2015. [URL]
- S. Sua, A. Chaudhary, P. O’Leary, B. Geveci, W. Sherman, H. Nieto, and L. Francisco-Revilla, "Virtual reality enabled scientific visualization workflow," in IEEE Workshop on Everyday Virtual Reality, 2015. [URL]
- U. Ayachit, A. Bauer, B. Geveci, P. O'Leary, K. Moreland, N. Fabian, and J. Mauldin, "ParaView Catalyst: Enabling In Situ Data Analysis and Visualization," in Proceedings of the Workshop on In Situ Infrastructures for Enabling Extreme-Scale Analysis and Visualization, 2015. [URL]
- J. Ahrens, S. Jourdain, P. OLeary, J. Patchett, D. Rogers, and M. Petersen, "An Image-Based Approach to Extreme Scale in Situ Visualization and Analysis," in International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, 2014. [URL]
- M. Hanwell, P. O'Leary, and B. O'Bara, "Sustainable Software Ecosystems: Software Engineers, Domain Scientists, and Engineers Collaborating for Science," in Working Towards Sustainable Software for Science: Practice and Experiences, 2014. [URL]
- S. Jourdain, S. Wittenburg, and P. O'Leary, "Python enabled ParaViewWeb for HPC analysis and visualization," in Workshop on Python for High-Performance and Scientific Computing, 2014.
- H. Karimabadi, B. Loring, P. O'Leary, A. Majumdar, M. Tatineni, and B. Geveci, "In-situ visualization for global hybrid simulations," in Proceedings of the Conference on Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment Gateway to Discovery, 2013. [URL]
- M. Hanwell, A. Perera, W. Turner, P. O'Leary, K. Osterdahl, B. Hoffman, and W. Schroeder, "Sustainable Software Ecosystems for Open Science," in Workshop on Sustainable Software: Practices and Experiences, 2013. [URL]
- E. Wernert, W. Sherman, P. O'Leary, and E. Whiting, "A common path forward for the immersive visualization community," in IEEE VR Workshop on Immersive Visualization, 2012.
- N. Shetty, A. Chaudhary, D. Coming, W. Sherman, P. O'Leary, E. Whiting, and S. Su, "Immersive ParaView: A community-based, immersive, universal scientific visualization application," in Proceedings of the IEEE Virtual Reality Conference, 2011. [URL]
- W. Sherman, P. O’Leary, E. Whiting, S. Grover, and E. Wernert, "IQ-Station: A Low Cost Portable Immersive Environment," in International Conference on Advances in Visual Computing, 2010. [URL]
- P. O'Leary, W. Sherman, A. Murray, C. Riesenfeld, and V. Peng, "Enabling scientific workflows using immersive microbiology," in Proceedings of the IEEE Visualization Conference, 2008.
- T. Urness, V. Interrante, E. Longmire, I. Marusic, and B. Ganapathisubramani, "Interactive Poster: Illustrating Different Convection Velocities of Turbulent Flow," in IEEE Visualization, 2004. [URL]
- D. Mach, S. Rogers, M. Sabino, N. Luger, M. Schwei, J. Pomonis, C. Keyser, D. Clohisy, D. Adams, P. O'Leary, and P. Mantyh, "Origins of skeletal pain: sensory and sympathetic innervation of the mouse femur," Neuroscience, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 155-166, 2002.
- P. O'Leary, M. Allen, and F. Furtado, "Groundwater Transport with Stochastic Retardation: Numerical Results," Transactions on Ecology and the Enviornment, vol. 17, 1998.
- J. Zahradník, P. O’Leary, and J. Sochacki, "Finite‐difference schemes for elastic waves based on the integration approach," GEOPHYSICS, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 928-937, Jun. 1994. [URL]
- R. Ewing, R. Sharpley, D. Mitchum, P. O'Leary, and J. Sochacki, "Distributed computation of wave propagation models using PVM," IEEE Parallel & Distributed Technology: Systems & Applications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 26-31, 1994. [URL]
- R. Ewing, A. Vassilev, M. Celia, P. O`Leary, and J. Pasciak, "Parallelization of multiphase models for contaminant transport in porous media," in SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, 1993.
- R. Ewing, P. O'Leary, and J. Sochacki, "Aspects of parallel processing in reservoir simulation," in Proceedings of the Ninth ASCE Engineering Mechanics Specialty Conference, 1992.
- R. Ewing, P. O'Leary, and J. Sochacki, "Vector/parallel implementation of a porous media flow code," in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing, 1991. [URL]
- P. O'Leary, "Developing mathematical models for the ncube," Idaho State University, 1990.
- J. Sochacki, P. O'Leary, C. Bennett, R. Ewing, and R. Sharpley, "Seismic Modeling and Inversion on The NCUBE," in Proceedings of the Distributed Memory Computing Conference, 1990. [URL]