Dr. Roddy Collins joined the computer vision team at Kitware as an R&D engineer in September 2007. For over 15 years, he has collaborated in research programs across various areas of computer vision, including object-level change detection, applications of scene content analysis to object tracking, object segmentation via semantic ontologies, motion pattern learning and anomaly detection, and optical metrology. He has served as the Kitware principal investigator for the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) Deep Intermodal Video Analytics (DIVA) program; the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Probabilistic Programming for Advancing Machine Learning (PPAML) program; and the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Hierarchical Dynamic Exploitation of FMV (full-motion video), or HiDEF, program. In addition, he has contributed to numerous other efforts for DARPA; IARPA; the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command (RDECOM); and AFRL. He was also a lead architect of the DARPA Video and Image Retrieval and Analysis Tool (VIRAT) system, and he developed and maintains the evaluation and metrics systems of the Kitware computer vision team.
Dr. Collins received his B.S. in computer science from the University of Virginia. He then completed his M.S and Ph.D. in computer science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). His research at RPI aimed to reformulate the debugging process to show how semantic constraints can be evaluated in a reference implementation of a target semantic domain that can, in turn, be coupled to diverse, independently-developed target programs.
Prior to joining Kitware, Dr. Collins worked at the Visualization and Computer Vision Lab at GE Global Research Center. He has co-authored papers published in the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence and the International Journal of Computer Vision. He has reviewed papers for conferences such as Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Communication Networks and Services Research, and Machine Vision Applications. His work has appeared at both the International Conference on Pattern Recognition and the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
- C. Long, R. Collins, E. Swears, and A. Hoogs, "Deep Neural Networks In Fully Connected CRF For Image Labeling With Social Network Metadata," in 2019 IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV), 2019.
- R. Porter, A. Basharat, R. Collins, M. Turek, and A. Hoogs, "Training and evaluating object detection pipelines with connected components," in Proceedings of the IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 2016. [URL]
- A. Hoogs, A. Perera, R. Collins, A. Basharat, K. Fieldhouse, C. Atkins, L. Sherrill, B. Boeckel, R. Blue, M. Woehlke, C. Greco, Z. Sun, E. Swears, N. Cuntoor, J. Luck, B. Drew, D. Hanson, D. Rowley, J. Kopaz, T. Rude, D. Keefe, A. Srivastava, S. Khanwalkar, A. Kumar, C. Chen, J. Aggarwal, L. Davis, Y. Yacoob, A. Jain, D. Liu, S. Chang, B. Song, A. Roy-Chowdhury, K. Sullivan, J. Tesic, S. Chandrasekaran, B. Manjunath, X. Wang, Q. Ji, K. Reddy, J. Liu, M. Shah, K. Chang, T. Chen, and M. Desai, "An end-to-end system for content-based video retrieval using behavior, actions, and appearance with interactive query refinement," in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance, 2015. [URL]
- K. Fieldhouse, M. Leotta, A. Basharat, R. Blue, D. Stoup, C. Atkins, L. Sherrill, B. Boeckel, P. Tunison, J. Becker, M. Dawkins, M. Woehlke, R. Collins, M. Turek, and A. Hoogs, "KWIVER: An open source cross-platform video exploitation framework," in Proceedings of the IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 2014. [URL]
- N. Cuntoor, R. Collins, and A. Hoogs, "Human-robot teamwork using activity recognition and human instruction," in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2012. [URL]
- E. Swears, M. Turek, R. Collins, A. Perera, and A. Hoogs, "Automatic activity profile generation from detected functional regions for video scene analysis," in Video Analytics for Business Intelligence. Springer, 2012, pp. 241-269. [URL]
- M. Turek, A. Hoogs, and R. Collins, "Unsupervised Learning of Functional Categories in Video Scenes," in Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Vision, 2010. [URL]
- D. Hutchison, T. Kanade, J. Kittler, J. Kleinberg, F. Mattern, J. Mitchell, M. Naor, O. Nierstrasz, C. Pandu Rangan, B. Steffen, M. Sudan, D. Terzopoulos, D. Tygar, M. Vardi, G. Weikum, S. Oh, A. Hoogs, M. Turek, and R. Collins, "Content-Based Retrieval of Functional Objects in Video Using Scene Context," in Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Vision, 2010. [URL]
- A. Perera, R. Collins, and A. Hoogs, "Evaluation of compression schemes for wide area video," in Proceedings of the IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 2008. [URL]
- K. Barnard, Q. Fan, R. Swaminathan, A. Hoogs, R. Collins, P. Rondot, and J. Kaufhold, "Evaluation of localized semantics: data, methodology, and experiments," International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 199-217, May 2008. [URL]
- E. Blasch, H. Ling, D. Shen, G. Chen, R. Hammound, A. Basharat, R. Collins, A. Aved, and J. Nagy, "Video-to-text information fusion evaluation for level 5 user refinement," in 2015 18th International Conference on Information Fusion (Fusion), 2006.
- J. Kaufhold, R. Collins, A. Hoogs, and P. Rondot, "Recognition and Segmentation of Scene Content using Region-Based Classification," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2006. [URL]
- N. Krahnstoever, P. Tu, T. Sebastien, A. Perera, and R. Collins, "Multi-View Detection and Tracking of Travelers and Luggage in Mass Transit Environments," in IEEE Workshop on Performance Evaluation for Tracking and Surveillance, 2006.
- A. Hoogs and R. Collins, "Object Boundary Detection in Images using a Semantic Ontology," in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, 2006. [URL]
- R. Collins, "Restoring Semantic Context: A Domain-Aware Debugger," Ph.D. dissertation, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2004.
- A. Hoogs, R. Collins, R. Kaucic, and J. Mundy, "A common set of perceptual observables for grouping, figure-ground discrimination, and texture classification," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 458-474, Apr. 2003. [URL]
- A. Hoogs, R. Collins, and R. Kaucic, "Classification of 3D macro texture using perceptual observables," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2002. [URL]
- A. Hoogs, R. Kaucic, and R. Collins, "Using video for recovering texture," in Proceedings of the IEEE Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 2001. [URL]