Meet the Team
Will Schroeder, Ph.D.
Ph.D. in Mathematics
M.S. in Applied Mathematics
Dr. Schroeder is a co-founder of Kitware, and he served as Kitware’s CEO for 19 years. Will’s current role is to identify technology and business opportunities and to obtain the necessary support for Kitware to meet these opportunities. Dr. Schroeder also provides technical leadership in large open source projects such as the National Library of Medicine Insight Toolkit project (www.itk.org); the NA-MIC NIH National Center for Biomedical Computing (www.na-mic.org); and the Visualization Toolkit (www.vtk.org), where he is a lead developer, member of the Architecture Review Board, and first author of the Visualization Toolkit textbook. Dr. Schroeder is also an advocate for open source software and business models, and he assistant-teaches an open source course at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), (with Dr. Luis Ibanez, as part of the Rensselaer Center for Open Source Software.
Prior to his current position, Dr. Schroeder was a computational scientist at the General Electric (GE) Corporate Research and Development Center, where he developed software visualization tools for the analysis of mechanical systems such as aircraft engines, as well as medical and general computational visualization. In an earlier position at the same organization, he developed advanced tools for fully automatic mesh generation. From 1980 through 1987, he was a design engineer at GE’s Gas Turbine Division, where he helped design and implement advanced simulation systems based on finite element, finite difference and boundary element numerical methods.
Dr. Schroeder graduated in 1983 with an M.S. in applied mathematics and in 1991 with a Ph.D. in mathematics from (RPI). His Ph.D. was obtained part-time over an eleven-year period while he worked full time at GE. Dr. Schroeder graduated summa cum laude from the University of Maryland in 1980 as a mechanical engineer. Dr. Schroeder continues to be active in the research community presenting papers, teaching courses and participating in panel discussions at such conferences as Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Visualization and Siggraph. Dr. Schroeder has also been an invited speaker at many scientific computing and open source conferences.
- A. Chaudhary, S. Jhaveri, A. Sanchez, L. Avila, K. Martin, A. Vacanti, M. Hanwell, and W. Schroeder, "Cross-Platform Ubiquitous Volume Rendering Using Programmable Shaders in VTK for Scientific and Medical Visualization," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 26-43, Mar. 2019.
- O. Ruebel, A. Tritt, B. Dichter, T. Braun, N. Cain, N. Clack, T. Davidson, M. Dougherty, J. Fillion-Robin, N. Graddis, M. Grauer, J. Kiggins, L. Niu, D. Ozturk, W. Schroeder, I. Soltesz, F. Sommer, K. Svoboda, L. Ng, L. Frank, and K. Bouchard, "NWB:N 2.0: An Accessible Data Standard for Neurophysiology," Neuroscience, Jan. 2019. [URL]
- T. Kapur, S. Pieper, A. Fedorov, J. Fillion-Robin, M. Halle, L. O'Donnell, A. Lasso, T. Ungi, C. Pinter, J. Finet, S. Pujol, J. Jagadeesan, J. Tokuda, I. Norton, R. Estepar, D. Gering, H. Aerts, M. Jakab, N. Hata, L. Ibanez, D. Blezek, J. Miller, S. Aylward, W. Grimson, G. Fichtinger, W. Wells, W. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, and R. Kikinis, "Increasing the impact of medical image computing using community-based open-access hackathons: The NA-MIC and 3D Slicer experience," Medical Image Analysis, vol. 33, pp. 176-180, Oct. 2016. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, R. Maynard, and B. Geveci, "Flying edges: A high-performance scalable isocontouring algorithm," in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Large Data Analysis and Visualization, 2015. [URL]
- A. Bauer, B. Geveci, and W. Schroeder, "The Catalyst User's Guide v2.0," Kitware, Inc., Feb. 2015.
- L. Ibanez, W. Schroeder, and M. Hanwell, "Practicing Open Science," in Implementing Reproducible Research. Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2014.
- H. Childs, B. Geveci, W. Schroeder, J. Meredith, K. Moreland, C. Sewell, T. Kuhlen, and E. Bethel, "Research Challenges for Visualization Software," Computer, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 34-42, May 2013. [URL]
- M. Hanwell, A. Perera, W. Turner, P. O'Leary, K. Osterdahl, B. Hoffman, and W. Schroeder, "Sustainable Software Ecosystems for Open Science," in Workshop on Sustainable Software: Practices and Experiences, 2013. [URL]
- T. Kapur, S. Pieper, R. Whitaker, S. Aylward, M. Jakab, W. Schroeder, and R. Kikinis, "The National Alliance for Medical Image Computing, a roadmap initiative to build a free and open source software infrastructure for translational research in medical image analysis," Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 176-180, Mar. 2012. [URL]
- B. Geveci and W. Schroeder, "VTK," in The Architecture of Open Source Applications. lulu.com, 2012, pp. online. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, F. Bertel, M. Malaterre, D. Thompson, P. Pebay, R. O'Bara, and S. Tendulkar, "Methods and framework for visualizing higher-order finite elements," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 446-460, Jul. 2006. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, L. Avila, K. Martin, W. Hoffman, and C. Law, The VTK User's Guide. Kitware, 2006.
- W. Schroeder, K. Martin, B. Lorensen, L. Sobierajski, R. Avila, and C. Law, Visualization Toolkit: An Object-Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics, 4th. Kitware, 2006.
- S. Pieper, B. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, and R. Kikinis, "The NA-MIC Kit: ITK, VTK, Pipelines, Grids and 3D Slicer as An Open Platform for the Medical Image Computing Community," in 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: Macro to Nano, 2006., 2006. [URL]
- W. Schroeder and K. Martin, "Overview of Visualization," in Visualization Handbook. Elsevier, 2005, pp. 3-35. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, F. Bertel, M. Malaterre, D. Thompson, and P. Pebay, "Framework for Visualizing Higher-Order Basis Functions," in IEEE Visualization, 2005. [URL]
- W. Schroeder and M. Shephard, "Computational Visualization," in Encyclopedia of Computational Mechanics. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2004. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, L. Ibanez, and K. Martin, "Software Process: The key to developing robust, reusable and maintainable open-source software," in 2004 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: Macro to Nano (IEEE Cat No. 04EX821), 2004. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, B. Geveci, and M. Malaterre, "Compatible triangulations of spatial decompositions," in IEEE Visualization, 2004. [URL]
- B. King and W. Schroeder, "Automated wrapping of complex c++ code," Dr. Dobb's Journal, Jan. 2003.
- L. Ibáñez, W. Schroeder, L. Ng, and J. Cates, The ITK Software Guide. Kitware, Inc., 2003.
- T. Yoo, M. Ackerman, W. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, V. Chalana, S. Aylward, D. Metaxas, and W. Ross, "Engineering and Algorithm Design for an Image Processing API: A Technical Report on ITK - the Insight Toolkit," in Proceedings of the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference, 2002. [URL]
- H. Pfister, B. Lorensen, C. Bajaj, G. Kindlmann, W. Schroeder, L. Avila, K. Raghu, R. Machiraju, and J. Lee, "The transfer function bake-off," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 16-22, 2001. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, L. Avila, and W. Hoffman, "Visualizing with VTK: A tutorial," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 20-27, Oct. 2000. [URL]
- C. Law, W. Schroeder, K. Martin, and J. Temkin, "A multi-threaded streaming pipeline architecture for large structured data sets," in Proceedings Visualization '99 (Cat. No.99CB37067), 1999. [URL]
- C. Law, L. Sobierajski Avila, and W. Schroeder, "Application of path planning and visualization for industrial-design and maintainability-analysis," in Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium: International Symposium on Product Quality and Integrity, 1998. [URL]
- Y. Chiang, C. Silva, and W. Schroeder, "Interactive out-of-core isosurface extraction," in Proceedings Visualization '98 (Cat. No.98CB36276), 1998. [URL]
- W. Schroeder and T. Citriniti, "Decimating Polygonal Meshes," Dr. Dobb's Journal, Jul. 1997. [URL]
- L. Sobierajski and W. Schroeder, "Interactive visualization of aircraft and power generation engines," in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Visualization, 1997. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, "A topology modifying progressive decimation algorithm," in Proceedings of the IEEE Visualization Conference, 1997. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, "Visualizing Scientific Data," Dr. Dobb's Journal, Jun. 1996. [URL]
- W. Schroeder and W. Lorensen, "3-D Surface Contours," Dr. Dobb's Journal, Jul. 1996.
- W. Schroeder, K. Martin, and W. Lorensen, "The design and implementation of an object-oriented toolkit for 3D graphics and visualization," in Proceedings of the IEEE Visualization Conference, 1996. [URL]
- M. Shephard and W. Schroeder, "Analysis Data for Visualization," in Computer visualization: graphics techniques for scientific and engineering analysis. CRC Press, 1995.
- W. Schroeder, W. Lorensen, and S. Linthicum, "Implicit modeling of swept surfaces and volumes," in Proceedings of the IEEE Visualization Conference, 1994. [URL]
- H. Cline, W. Lorensen, and W. Schroeder, "3D Phase Contrast MRI of Cerebral Blood Flow and Surface Anatomy," Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 17, no. 2, 1993. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, W. Lorensen, G. Montanaro, and C. Volpe, "VISAGE: an object-oriented scientific visualization system," in Proceedings Visualization '92, 1992. [URL]
- W. Schroeder, J. Zarge, and W. Lorensen, "Decimation of triangle meshes," in Proceedings of the 19th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques - SIGGRAPH '92, 1992. [URL]