Dr. Schroeder is a co-founder of Kitware, and he served as Kitware’s CEO for 19 years. Will’s current role is to identify technology and business opportunities and to obtain the necessary support for Kitware to meet these opportunities. Dr. Schroeder also provides technical leadership in large open-source projects such as the National Library of Medicine Insight Toolkit project (www.itk.org); the NA-MIC NIH National Center for Biomedical Computing (www.na-mic.org); and the Visualization Toolkit (www.vtk.org), where he is a lead developer, member of the Architecture Review Board, and first author of the Visualization Toolkit textbook. Dr. Schroeder is also an advocate for open-source software and business models, and he assistant-teaches an open-source course at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), (with Dr. Luis Ibanez, as part of the Rensselaer Center for Open Source Software.
Prior to his current position, Dr. Schroeder was a computational scientist at the General Electric (GE) Corporate Research and Development Center, where he developed software visualization tools for the analysis of mechanical systems such as aircraft engines, as well as medical and general computational visualization. In an earlier position at the same organization, he developed advanced tools for fully automatic mesh generation. From 1980 through 1987, he was a design engineer at GE’s Gas Turbine Division, where he helped design and implement advanced simulation systems based on finite element, finite difference and boundary element numerical methods.
Dr. Schroeder graduated in 1983 with an M.S. in applied mathematics and in 1991 with a Ph.D. in mathematics from (RPI). His Ph.D. was obtained part-time over an eleven-year period while he worked full time at GE. Dr. Schroeder graduated summa cum laude from the University of Maryland in 1980 as a mechanical engineer. Dr. Schroeder continues to be active in the research community presenting papers, teaching courses and participating in panel discussions at such conferences as Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Visualization and Siggraph. Dr. Schroeder has also been an invited speaker at many scientific computing and open source conferences.
- T. Kapur, S. Pieper, A. Fedorov, J. Fillion-Robin, M. Halle, L. O’Donnell, A. Lasso, T. Ungi, C. Pinter, J. Finet, S. Pujol, J. Jagadeesan, J. Tokuda, I. Norton, R. S. J. Estepar, D. Gering, H. J. Aerts, M. Jakab, N. Hata, L. Ibanez, D. Blezek, J. Miller, S. Aylward, W. Grimson, G. Fichtinger, W. M. Wells, W. E. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, and R. Kikinis, "Increasing the Impact of Medical Image Computing Using Community-Based Open-Access Hackathons: the NA-MIC and 3D Slicer Experience.," Medical image analysis, vol. 33, pp. 176-180, Jul. 2016.
- A. Bauer, B. Geveci, and W. Schroeder, The Catalyst User’s Guide v2.0 ParaView 4.3.. Kitware Inc., 2015
- L. Ibanez, W. Schroeder, and M. Hanwell, Book chapter: Practicing Open Science. From: Implementing Reproducible Computational Research. Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2014
- B. Geveci and W. Schroeder, "The Architecture of Open Source Applications,"Nov. 2013.
- T. Kapur, R. Whitaker, R. Kikinis, S. Aylward, M. Jakab, and W. Schroeder, "The National Alliance for Medical Image Computing, a Roadmap Initiative to Build a Free and Open Source Software Infrastructure for Translational Research in Medical Image Analysis,"vol. 19, pp. 176-180, Nov. 2013.
- M. Hanwell, A. Perera, W. Turner, P. O'Leary, K. Osterdahl, B. Hoffman, and W. Schroeder, "Sustainable Software Ecosystems for Open Science," arXiv.org, Sep. 2013.
- H. Childs, B. Geveci, W. Schroeder, J. Meredith, K. Moreland, C. Sewell, T. Kuhlen, and E. Bethel, "Research Challenges for Visualization Software," IEEE Computer 46, vol. 5, pp. 34-42, Jan. 2013.
- T. Kapur, S. Pieper, R. Whitaker, S. Aylward, M. Jakab, W. Schroeder, and R. Kikinis, "The National Alliance for Medical Image Computing, a roadmap initiative to build a free and open source software infrastructure for translational research in medical image analysis ," Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, Nov. 2011.
- B. Hoffman, K. Martin, W. Schroeder, B. Geveci, A. Brown, G. Wilson, R. Bryant, J. Crook, C. Ramey, M. Seltzer, K. Bostic, K. Moir, C. Davis, R. Chansler, H. Kuang, S. Radia, K. Scvachko, S. Srinivas, C. Brown, R. Canino-Koning, E. Ivov, C. Lattner, D. Ochtman, A. Marcus, T. Ziade, F. Cesarini, A. Gross, J. Sheehy, S. Steward, E. Allman, R. Bryant, A. Lagar-Cavilla, A. Tang, D. Madeley, A. Laudicina, A. Mavrinac, C. Horstmann, J. Freire, D. Koop, E. Santos, R. Shimooka, and D. White, "The Architecture of Open Source,"pp. 67-77, May. 2011.
- L. Ibanez and W. Schroeder, "The Case for Open Science,"Feb. 2010.
- W. Schroeder et al., "Methods and Framework for Visualizing Higher-Order Finite Elements," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 12, pp. 446, Jul. 2006.
- S. Pieper, B. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, and R. Kikinis, The NA-MIC Kit: ITK, VTK, Pipelines, Grids and 3D Slicer as An Open Platform for the Medical Image Computing Community. Proc. of ISBI Nano To Macro, 2006
- W. J. Schroeder et al., "Framework and Methods for Visualizing Higher-Order Finite Elements," IEEE Trans. on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Special Issue Visualization 2005, vol. 12, pp. 446-460, Jan. 2006.
- W. Schroeder et al., The visualization toolkit: an object-oriented approach to 3D graphics [visualize data in 3D - medical, engineering or scientific; build your own applications with C++, Tcl, Java or Python; includes source code for VTK (supports UNIX, Windows and Mac)]. Kitware, 2006
- W. J. Schroeder et al., "Framework for Visualizing Higher-Order Basis Functions," IEEE Visualization 2005, 2005, pp. 43-50
- W. J. Schroeder et al., Framework for Visualizing Higher-Order Basis Functions. Proceedings of IEEE Visualization 2005, 2005, pp. 43-50
- W. J. Schroeder et al., "Compatible Triangulations of Spatial Decompositions," Proc. of IEEE Visualization 2004 in IEEE Computer Society, 2004, pp. 211-218
- W. J. Schroeder et al., "Software Process: The Key to Developing Robust, Reusable and Maintainable Open-Source Software," in Proc. of ISBI Nano To Macro, 2004, pp. 648-651
- W. Schroeder and K. Martin, The Visualization Toolkit. C. D. Hansen and C. R. Johnson, editors. Elsevier, 2004
- W. Schroeder and M. Shephard, Computational Visualization. Encyclopedia of Computational Mechanics, E. Stein, R. De Borst, J.R. Thomas, editors. J. Wiley, 2004
- B. King and W. Schroeder, Automated Wrapping of Complex C++ Code. C/C++ Users Journal, 2003
- L. Ibáñez, W. Schroeder, L. Ng, J. Cates, t. Consortium, and R. Hamming, The ITK Software Guide. Kitware, Inc., 2003
- W. J. Schroeder, The Visualization Toolkit User's Guide. Kitware, Inc., 2003
- W. J. Schroeder et al., The Visualization Toolkit: An Object-Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics, Third Edition. Kitware, Inc. (formerly Prentice-Hall), 2003
- T. S. Yoo, M. J. Ackerman, W. E. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, V. Chalana, S. Aylward, D. Metaxas, and R. Whitaker, Engineering and Algorithm Design for an Image Processing API: A Technical Report on ITK - the Insight Toolkit. Proc. of Medicine Meets Virtual Reality, J. Westwood, ed., IOS Press Amsterdam, 2002, pp. 586-592
- H. Pfister, W. E. Lorensen, C. L. Bajaj, G. L. Kindlmann, W. J. Schroeder, L. Avila, K. Martin, R. Machiraju, and J. Lee, "The Transfer Function Bake-Off," IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 16-22, Jun. 2001.
- W. J. Schroeder et al., The Visualization Toolkit User's Guide. Kitware, Inc., 2001
- W. Schroeder et al., Visualizing with VTK: A Tutorial. IEEE Computer Graphics And Applications, 2000
- C. Law, K. M. Martin, W. J. Schroeder, and J. E. Temkin, A Multi-Threaded Streaming Pipeline Architecure for Large Structured Data Sets. Proc. of IEEE Visualization, 1999
- Y. Chiang, C. T. Silva, and W. J. Schroeder, Interactive Out-of-Core Isosurface Extraction. Proc. of Visualization '98 IEEE Computer Society Press, 1998, pp. 167-174
- W. Schroeder et al., The Visualization Toolkit, 2nd Edition. Prentice Hall, 1998
- C. Law, L. S. Avila, and W. J. Schroeder, Application of Path Planning and Visualization for Industrial Design and Maintainability Analysis. Reliability and Maintainability Symposium (RAMS), 1998
- L. Sobierajski and W. Schroeder, "Interactive Visualization of Aircraft and Power Generation Engines," Proc. of IEEE Visualization '97 in IEEE Computer Society Press, 1997, pp. 483-486
- W. J. Schroeder, A Topology Modifying Progressive Decimation Algorithm. Proc. of Visualization '97 IEEE Computer Society Press, 1997, pp. 205-212
- W. J. Schroeder and T. Citriniti, Decimating Polygonal Meshes. Dr. Dobb's Journal, Miller Freeman , 1997, pp. 109-112
- W. J. Schroeder et al., The Visualization Toolkit: An Object Orient Approach to Computer Graphics, Second Edition. Prentice Hall, 1997
- W. J. Schroeder et al., "The Design and Implementation of an Object-Oriented Toolkit for 3D Graphics and Visualization," Proc. IEEE Visualization '96 in ACM Press, 1996, pp. 516-593
- W. J. Schroeder and W. Lorensen, 3-D Surface Contours. Dr. Dobb's Journal, Miller Freeman, 1996, pp. 26-32
- W. J. Schroeder, "Visualizing Scientific Data," C/C++ Users Journal, Miller Freeman,, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 33-37, Jun. 1996.
- M. Shephard and W. J. Schroeder, Analysis Data for Visualization. R.S. Gallagher, editor, CRC Press, 1995
- W. J. Schroeder et al., Implicit Modeling of Swept Surfaces and Volumes. Proc. of Visualization, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1994, pp. 40-55
- H. Cline, W. Lorensen, and W. Schroeder, Three Dimensional Phase Contrast Magnetic Resonance Blood Flow And Surface Anatomy. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 1993, pp. 173-177
- W. J. Schroeder et al., "Visage: An Object-Oriented Scientific Visualization System," Proc. of Visualization '92 in IEEE Computer Society Press, 1992, pp. 126-132
- W. J. Schroeder et al., "Decimation of Triangle Meshes," SIGGRAPH 1992, 1992, pp. 65-70