Staff R&D Engineer
Dan Lipsa joined Kitware in October 2013. He holds a Ph.D. in visualization from Swansea University in Wales, UK. Dan is a developer of the Visualization Toolkit (VTK), ParaView, and Community Data Analysis Tools (CDAT). He regularly teaches courses on ParaView and VTK. Dan has extensive experience analyzing and visualizing geospatial and point cloud data through projects, which include adding support to VTK and ParaView for geospatial and point cloud data, working on the ParaView Catalyst in situ library for Community Atmosphere Model (CAM) simulation, and improving the VTK reader for CAM files. Dan was a key contributor to the IARPA CORE3D program, where he focused on performing geospatial registration, rendering CORE3D models, and supporting CityGML for CORE3D. Dan has published 20 papers in peer-reviewed international conferences and journals. He regularly serves on program committees for primary visualization conferences such as IEEE Visualization (VIS) and EuroVis, and he serves as a reviewer for visualization journals, including IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG).
- M. Leotta, C. Long, B. Jacquet, M. Zins, D. Lipsa, J. Shan, B. Xu, Z. Li, X. Zhang, S. Chang, M. Purri, J. Xue, and K. Dana, "Urban Semantic 3D Reconstruction From Multiview Satellite Imagery," in The IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshops, 2019.
- D. Lipsa, R. Roberts, and R. Laramee, "FoamVis, A Visualization System for Foam Research: Design and Implementation," Computers, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 39-60, Mar. 2015. [URL]
- D. Lipsa, R. Laramee, S. Cox, and I. Davies, "Comparative Visualization and Analysis of Time-Dependent, 2D Foam Simulation Data," in Computer Graphics and Visual Computing, 2014. [URL]
- S. Cox, D. Lipsa, I. Davies, and R. Laramee, "Visualizing the dynamics of two-dimensional foams with FoamVis," Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 438, pp. 28-32, Dec. 2013. [URL]
- D. Lipşa, R. Laramee, S. Cox, and I. Davies, "Visualizing 3D Time-Dependent Foam Simulation Data," in Advances in Visual Computing. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, pp. 255-265. [URL]
- D. Lipşa, R. Laramee, S. Cox, J. Roberts, R. Walker, M. Borkin, and H. Pfister, "Visualization for the Physical Sciences," Computer Graphics Forum, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2317-2347, Dec. 2012. [URL]
- D. Lipsa, R. Laramee, S. Cox, and I. Davies, "FoamVis: Visualization of 2D Foam Simulation Data," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 2096-2105, Dec. 2011. [URL]
- D. Lipsa and R. Laramee, "Open Source Software in Computer Science and IT Higher Education: A Case Study," International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, vol. 2, no. 1, 2011. [URL]
- D. Lipsa, R. Bergeron, T. Sparr, and R. Laramee, "Dynamic Chunking for Out-of-Core Volume Visualization Applications," in Advances in Visual Computing. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2009, pp. 117-128. [URL]
- D. Lipsa, P. Rhodes, R. Bergeron, and T. Sparr, "Spatial prefetching for out-of-core visualization of multidimensional data," in Electronic Imaging, 2007. [URL]
- R. Bergeron, D. Lipsa, and P. Rhodes, "Iteration aware prefetching for scientific data," in Proceedings of the ACM Southeast Regional Conference, 2005. [URL]