Jon Crall joined Kitware as an intern in 2007. He worked summers, until he completed his undergraduate education in 2010. After he received his B.S. in computer science, Jon entered Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) as a graduate student. At RPI, Jon developed matching algorithms for individual animal identification. He was the primary software architect of the open source Image Based Ecological Information System (IBEIS). After he finished his Ph.D. in 2017, Jon rejoined Kitware on the computer vision team. As an R&D engineer, he continues his research in machine learning and computer vision.
- J. Parham, C. Stewart, J. Crall, D. Rubenstein, J. Holmberg, and T. Berger-Wolf, "An animal detection pipeline for identification," in Proceedings of the IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision, 2018. [URL]
- J. Parham, C. Stewart, J. Crall, D. Rubenstein, J. Holmberg, and T. Berger-Wolf, "Focusing animal identification with annotations of interest," in Proceedings of the IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision, 2018.
- J. Crall, "Identifying Individual Animals using Ranking, Verification, and Connectivity," Ph.D. dissertation, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2017.
- S. Dunbar, D. Baumbach, M. Wright, C. Hayes, J. Holmberg, J. Crall, and C. Stewart, "HotSpotter: less manipulating, more learning, and better vision for turtle photo identification," in Annual Symposium on Sea Turtle Biology and Conservation, 2017.
- T. Morrison, D. Keinath, W. Estes-Zumpf, J. Crall, and C. Stewart, "Individual Identification of the Endangered Wyoming Toad Anaxyrus baxteri and Implications for Monitoring Species Recovery," Journal of Herpetology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 44-49, Mar. 2016. [URL]
- T. Berger-Wolf, J. Crall, J. Holberg, J. Parham, C. Stewart, B. Mackey, P. Kahumbu, and D. Rubenstein, "The Great Grevy’s Rally: The Need, Methods, Findings, Implications and Next Steps," Grevy's Zebra Trust, Aug. 2016. [URL]
- D. Rubenstein, C. Stewart, T. Berger-Wolf, J. Parham, J. Crall, C. Machogu, P. Kahumbu, and N. Maingi, "The Great Zebra and Giraffe Count: The Power and Rewards of Citizen Science," Kenya Wildlife Service, Jul. 2015. [URL]
- J. Crall, C. Stewart, T. Berger-Wolf, D. Rubenstein, and S. Sundaresan, "HotSpotter–Patterned species instance recognition," in Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, 2013. [URL]