Dr. Blue received his B.S. in Bioengineering from Texas A&M University and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1995 and 1997, respectively. His research concentration at RPI involved real-time reconstruction algorithms for three-dimensional electrical impedance imaging, parallel programming techniques, and high performance computing platforms.
After completing his Ph.D., Dr. Blue joined the Computer Graphics and Visualization Program at the General Electric Corporate Research and Development Center, where he focused on developing innovative technology solutions in the area of industrial visualization, principally for GE Aircraft Engines. This work included developing automated path planning and haptic path planning techniques for maintainability analysis and the development of a virtual reality system and automated sequencing algorithms for determining assembly and disassembly sequences for service applications.
Since joining Kitware, Dr. Blue has spent several years on projects involving 3D structured light systems for reconstructing 3D environments, including automatic system calibration and mapping of 2D data onto the 3D surface. Dr. Blue also continued his contribution in the field of haptics, developing a training application for maintenance of aircraft engines utilizing dual haptic devices and was a major contributor on a team working with the Army Corp of Engineers, as Kitware has been building a suite of visualization tools for dealing with the increasing domain size and resolution needs of their numerical modeling applications. In 2011 he became a technical lead on the computer vision team, leading a team developing visualization tools and applications in support of many of the vision projects.
- C. Law, J. Parham, M. Dawkins, P. Tunison, D. Stoup, R. Blue, K. Fieldhouse, M. Turek, A. Hoogs, S. Han, A. Farafard, J. Kerekes, E. Lentilucci, M. Gartley, T. Savakis, T. Rovito, S. Thomas, and C. Stansifer, "Deep learning for object detection and object-based change detection in satellite imagery," in Proceedings of the MSS National Symposium on Sensor and Data Fusion, 2017.
- A. Hoogs, A. Perera, R. Collins, A. Basharat, K. Fieldhouse, C. Atkins, L. Sherrill, B. Boeckel, R. Blue, M. Woehlke, C. Greco, Z. Sun, E. Swears, N. Cuntoor, J. Luck, B. Drew, D. Hanson, D. Rowley, J. Kopaz, T. Rude, D. Keefe, A. Srivastava, S. Khanwalkar, A. Kumar, C. Chen, J. Aggarwal, L. Davis, Y. Yacoob, A. Jain, D. Liu, S. Chang, B. Song, A. Roy-Chowdhury, K. Sullivan, J. Tesic, S. Chandrasekaran, B. Manjunath, X. Wang, Q. Ji, K. Reddy, J. Liu, M. Shah, K. Chang, T. Chen, and M. Desai, "An end-to-end system for content-based video retrieval using behavior, actions, and appearance with interactive query refinement," in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal Based Surveillance, 2015. [URL]
- K. Fieldhouse, M. Leotta, A. Basharat, R. Blue, D. Stoup, C. Atkins, L. Sherrill, B. Boeckel, P. Tunison, J. Becker, M. Dawkins, M. Woehlke, R. Collins, M. Turek, and A. Hoogs, "KWIVER: An open source cross-platform video exploitation framework," in Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 2014. [URL]
- Z. Sun, M. Leotta, A. Hoogs, R. Blue, R. Neuroth, J. Vasquez, A. Perera, M. Turek, and E. Blasch, "Vehicle change detection from aerial imagery using detection response maps," in SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing Motion Imagery for ISR and Situational Awareness, 2014. [URL]
- E. Swears, A. Hoogs, and R. Blue, "Recognizing Activity Based Scene Elements in Video," in Automatic Target Recognition Working Group, 2013.
- R. Blue, A. Chaudhary, B. Payne, and M. Woehlke, "VisGUI: A visualization framework for video analysis," Kitware Source, no. 23, 2012.
- Won-Ki Jeong, J. Beyer, M. Hadwiger, R. Blue, C. Law, A. Vazquez-Reina, R. Reid, J. Lichtman, and H. Pfister, "Ssecrett and NeuroTrace: Interactive Visualization and Analysis Tools for Large-Scale Neuroscience Data Sets," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 58-70, May 2010. [URL]
- A. Hines, S. Howington, B. White, O. Eslinger, C. Kees, M. Farthing, R. O'Bara, R. Blue, Y. Yuan, A. Bauer, and B. King, "Computational Model Builder (CMB): A Cross-Platform Suite of Tools for Model Creation and Setup," in DoD High Performance Computing Modernization Program Users Group Conference, 2009. [URL]
- J. Wampler, J. Bruno, R. Blue, and L. Hoebel, "Integrating maintainability and data development," in Annual Conference on Reliability and Maintainability, 2003. [URL]
- J. Bruno, R. Blue, and J. Wampler, "Achieving Re-Use Of Procedural Specifications," in Canadian Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, 2003.
- J. Newell, R. Blue, D. Isaacson, G. Saulnier, and A. Ross, "Phasic three-dimensional impedance imaging of cardiac activity," Physiological Measurement, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 203-209, Feb. 2002.
- R. Blue, A. Gilman, W. Turner, S. Linthicum, G. Ryon, J. Wampler, G. Wise, L. Hoebel, B. Yamrom, C. Volpe, B. Wilde, P. Rondot, and A. Kelly, "An automated approach and virtual environment for generating maintenance instructions," in CHI extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems, 2002. [URL]
- J. Wampler, J. Bruno, R. Blue, and L. Hoebel, "Service Manual Generation: an Automated Approach to Maintenance Manual Development," in Proceedings of the Human Factors in Aviation Maintenance Symposium, 2002.
- C. Volpe, J. Wampler, R. Blue, and G. Wise, "A Virtual Approach to Maintenance Manual Development," in Proceedings of the Ninth ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering, 2002.
- C. Volpe and R. Blue, "Virtual Haptic Validation for Service Manual Generation," in Proceedings of the PHANToM User's Group Workshop, 2002.
- R. Blue, D. Isaacson, and J. Newell, "Real-time three-dimensional electrical impedance imaging," Physiological Measurement, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 15-26, Feb. 2000.
- J. Newell, Y. Peng, P. Edic, R. Blue, H. Jaia, and R. Newell, "Effect of electrode size on impedance images of two- and three-dimensional objects," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 531-534, Apr. 1998. [URL]
- J. Newell, D. Isaacson, and R. Blue, "Regional ventilation and perfusion assessed by electrical impedance imaging," in Proceedings of International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 1997. [URL]
- C. Pieper, R. Blue, and A. Pacifico, "Simultaneously Collected Monopolar and Discrete Bipolar Electrograms: Comparison of Activation Time Detection Algorithms," Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 426-433, Mar. 1993. [URL]
- C. Pieper, R. Blue, and A. Pacifico, "Activation Time Detection Algorithms Used in Computerized Intraoperative Cardiac Mapping: A Comparison with Manually Determined Activation Times," Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 388-397, Oct. 1991. [URL]
- C. Pieper, R. Blue, and A. Pacifico, "Influence of Time of Sampling Onset on Parameters Used for Activation Time Determination in Computerized Intraoperative Mapping," Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 2187-2192, Dec. 1991. [URL]