Dr. Blue received his B.S. in Bioengineering from Texas A&M University and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1995 and 1997, respectively. His research concentration at RPI involved real-time reconstruction algorithms for three-dimensional electrical impedance imaging, parallel programming techniques, and high performance computing platforms.
After completing his Ph.D., Dr. Blue joined the Computer Graphics and Visualization Program at the General Electric Corporate Research and Development Center, where he focused on developing innovative technology solutions in the area of industrial visualization, principally for GE Aircraft Engines. This work included developing automated path planning and haptic path planning techniques for maintainability analysis and the development of a virtual reality system and automated sequencing algorithms for determining assembly and disassembly sequences for service applications.
Since joining Kitware, Dr. Blue has spent several years on projects involving 3D structured light systems for reconstructing 3D environments, including automatic system calibration and mapping of 2D data onto the 3D surface. Dr. Blue also continued his contribution in the field of haptics, developing a training application for maintenance of aircraft engines utilizing dual haptic devices and was a major contributor on a team working with the Army Corp of Engineers, as Kitware has been building a suite of visualization tools for dealing with the increasing domain size and resolution needs of their numerical modeling applications. In 2011 he became a technical lead on the computer vision team, leading a team developing visualization tools and applications in support of many of the vision projects.
- KWIVER: An open source cross-platform video exploitation framework," pp. 1--4, Jan. 2014. , "
- Vehicle change detection from aerial imagery using detection response maps ," pp. 908906--908906, Jan. 2014. , "
- VisGUI: A Visualization Framework for Video Analysis," Oct. 2012. , "
- Ssecrett and neurotrace: interactive visualization and analysis tools for large-scale neuroscience data sets," IEEE Compter Graphics and Applications, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 58--70, May 2010. , "
- Computational model builder (cmb): a cross-platform suite of tools for model creation and setup," 2009 DoD High Performance Computing Modernization Program Users Group Conference, pp. 370--373, Jun. 2009. , "
- Achieving re-use of procedural specifications," Oct. 2003. , "
- Integrating maintainability and data development," Jan. 2003. , "
- Virtual haptic validation for service manual generation," Jan. 2002. , "
- Service Manual Generation: An automated approach to maintenance manual development," Apr. 2002. , "
- A virtual approach to maintenance manual development," Jul. 2002. , "
- Phasic three-dimensional impedance imaging of cardiac activity," vol. 23, pp. 203--209, Jan. 2002. , "
- An automated approach and virtual environment for generating maintenance instructions," Jan. 2002. , "
- Electrical impedance tomography," vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 31--43, Jan. 2001. , "
- Phasic three-dimensional impedance imaging of cardiac activity," Apr. 2001. , "
- Real-time three-dimensional electrical impedance imaging," vol. 21, pp. 1--12, Jan. 2000. , "
- Three dimensional impedance imaging algorithm in cylindrical geometry," Apr. 1999. , "
- Effect of electrode size on impedance images of two- and three-dimensional objects," vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 531--534, Jan. 1998. , "
- A 3-D impedance imaging algorithm for multiple layers of electrodes," Apr. 1997. , "
- Regional ventilation and perfusion assessed by electrical impedance imaging," vol. 18, pp. 2--5, Jan. 1996. , "
- Simultaneously collected monopolar and discrete bipolar electrograms: comparison of activation time detection algorithms," pp. 426--433, Jan. 1993. , "
- Activation time detection algorithms used in computerized intraoperative cardiac mapping: A comparison with manually determined activation times," pp. 388--397, Jan. 1991. , "
- Influence of time of sampling onset on parameters used for activation time determination in computerized intraoperative mapping," pp. 2187--2192, Jan. 1991. , "